Sponsored by:

Flimsy Flange on Timing Chain Covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 11:48 AM
lothian1
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Flimsy Flange on Timing Chain Covers

To remedy an oil leak I must replace a cracked plastic timing chain cover.

When I torque-down the fasteners on a new bolt-compatible Chineseum metal replacement cover, the thin-gauge flanges bow-out between bolt heads. Exact same thing happened when I torque-down the fasteners on another new bolt-compatible Chineseum metal replacement cover. Obviously this is unacceptable.

The flange on the old plastic cover I removed from this engine was comparatively thick. And most significant, I recall that the plastic flange sat flush to the mated surface with no gaps or oil seepage. Must I purchase a plastic replacement timing chain cover..? This likelihood bothers me. It seems only Holley makes a robust (meaning: thick) metal timing chain cover... though at a Holley price, of course.

Oil pan flanges are often braced by a strip of metal between the flange and the fasteners on either side of the pan to distribute clamping force in order to prevent flange bowing/warping. This is exactly what I need to clamp a flimsy metal timing chain cover to the engine. But unless I whip up a model in SolidWorks and send off an order to Shapeways for a laser-cut 0.218-in stainless steel custom brace, no such widget exists.

So what's the deal with flimsy metal timing chain covers? The flanges must make a seal to prevent oil weep. That requires a compressible gasket mashed between paired surfaces with sufficient clampy goodness. Arching metal between fasteners along the perimeter of the flange defeats this function.

I should be driving this car presently. Instead, it remains on stands while I try to find a viable solution to this frustrating problem.

Quick Reply: Flimsy Flange on Timing Chain Covers