Sponsored by:

Unique C3 race engine from auto cross value

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 10:31 AM
Hotdog68
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unique C3 race engine from auto cross value

I was given advice to post this here from the auto cross section. Please let me know what you guys think?

hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I am in need of some help regarding this corvette engine. My father was given this motor years ago from a gentleman who pulled it from a 1971 zr1 auto cross racer. From what I was told the motor was in the corvette that George and Joann Lynch raced back in the day. I know it is a 350 from the late 70s but what makes it unique is the moon eyes manifold with the quad Weber 45 carburetors. My father is moving and selling a lot of his possessions and I didn’t want to just list this online without getting some advice from the corvette community. Please let me know if you know anything about this engine or what you think it’s worth. I have see the manifold alone selling for $5-6k. Thanks everyone.

Old 05-14-2024, 10:43 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,688 Likes on 4,122 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I would list it for 5 grand. Ive been shopping for a Big Block intake like that and have seen a few of the SBC moon ones for less than 2 grand in better shape. The carbs all need to be rebuilt or restored X4 so the cost is really high there. I would think it would be more valuable if it was listed as a LeMans engine versus autocross and that may be only for THE person looking for that exact engine....an old SBC engine needing a rebuild really has no value other than intrinsic value due to its history or a specific motor for a specific car. Good luck with the sale
Old 05-14-2024, 08:56 PM
Hotdog68
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay cool thank you for the info.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:48 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,259 Likes on 2,417 Posts

George Lynch is mentioned in this Forum thread. Likely elsewhere, too:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...his-car-4.html

I'd try to post that engine to Bring a Trailer, if you can find a history to it. I understand you have to qualify to post there.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:08 AM
70s
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

The block looks to be of 1977-up era (as you noted) due to the square numbers pad (blue circle) so it's not originally from a 1971 car. The carbs are widely available and as RescueRogers said will all need to be rebuilt for $$. The manifold is the most interesting part but you need to find the one buyer that really really needs it.

You should document all of the stamped and cast numbers on the block, heads, carbs, manifold, etc. Unless you can piece together the actual story of the engine's history with period photos and build details there isn't any added value to its word of mouth history.

Get notified of new replies

To Unique C3 race engine from auto cross value

Quick Reply: Unique C3 race engine from auto cross value