Sponsored by:

69-72 (73ish) windshield washer tubes

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 06:06 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Default 69-72 (73ish) windshield washer tubes

I found these images from Alan71 showing how the washer tubes exit.

Passenger side curves around past 90 deg and is sort of heading back down maybe 5-10 deg or so

Driver side. Pretty close to 90, maybe slightly points up (rather than going back down like the passenger)

So ok, seems legit

Then I found these from ecklers "exact reproductions" (I question the brass color as well but don't care)

So on these, the passenger points slightly upwards and the drivers is really point upwards maybe 15 deg

Not that it matters but were Alans bent over the years and supposed to look like the ecklers ones or were his more or less correct and the ecklers a typical reproduction crap version that's vaguely close?

M
Old 05-21-2024, 08:28 PM
Mooser
Race Director

I think I found my answer.... These things are ridiculously soft and easy to bend, any hit at all will move those ends anywhere so I'm going to guess the "new" ones are close to right and Alan's got bumped at some point in they 40 or so years between him buying the car new and deciding to restore it.
And if I'm wrong... we who cares, it's close enough and once I install them and test to make sure they work they'll not likely ever be used again.. at least by me anyway.

Mangled mess of tubes at least mostly straight and I'm starting to form the bends to match the arms.

And, in case you're losing sleep over it... On the tip of each tube there are 3 pin holes to spray out of. one up and one down and then one pointing at the windshield itself.

M
The following users liked this post:
Mako72 (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 11:18 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,397 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooser
I found these images from Alan71 showing how the washer tubes exit.
Passenger side curves around past 90 deg and is sort of heading back down maybe 5-10 deg or so
Alan71's photo above is used in the '70-'72 NCRS judging guide as an example of the tube solder and rivet, so it's likely pretty accurate.

The Eckler's tubes in copper/brass should be steel. The guide also says the tube should be a sort of black plating that can come across as brown.

Mooser, are you making your own, rejuvenating old tubes, or putting in reproduction tubes?
Old 05-22-2024, 12:30 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Resurrecting a set of old arms & tubes I bought years ago. The tubes were torn loose and all bent/ balled up/ mangled but complete.
The material is brass with a black coating, not paint (stripper and brake fluid didn't touch it) so maybe black oxide?
Arms were also black but stainless but scratched up pretty good. I'm deciding on if I want to take them apart some and powder coat or just paint the whole thing once I get the tubes fixed and solder back on
M

Get notified of new replies

To 69-72 (73ish) windshield washer tubes

Quick Reply: 69-72 (73ish) windshield washer tubes