Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 Bumper Covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 01:26 PM
Al Mc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1980 Bumper Covers

Just bought an 80 and it (of course) needs front and rear bumper covers. I know its a long shot, but thought I would put it out there. Does anyone by any chance have a front, rear or both in NICE shape. I live near Memphis, TN for pick up or shipping purposes.

thanks Al
Old 08-16-2016, 07:30 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I happen to have both of those bumpers in good shape, both need painting. The shipping is a big problem , money wise. Maybe some one closer will have them . Gene

Last edited by doctorgene; 08-17-2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: misplaced words.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:09 AM
Al Mc
Instructor

Default Bumper covers

Originally Posted by doctorgene
I happen to have both of those bumpers in good shape, both need painting. The shipping is a big problem also, money wise. Maybe some one closer will have them also. Gene
Thanks Gene. I know shipping is an issue. Wilcox wanted 220 to ship both. Thought that was a bit much. I'd like to find nice used even if I have to drive some to pick up.

thanks Al
Old 08-17-2016, 08:02 AM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Mc
Thanks Gene. I know shipping is an issue. Wilcox wanted 220 to ship both. Thought that was a bit much. I'd like to find nice used even if I have to drive some to pick up.

thanks Al
I don't have any to sell, but want to share my experience with used ones to possibly save you some wasted time and money: I needed them for a 1980 and drove over 300 miles to purchase two used ones. Each one had hairline cracks in the paint which I figured would be fine, as after stripping the paint, the bumper could be repainted. However, the cracks turned out to be in the bumper, fine enough to not be felt by hand, but would telegraph thru the new paint.

Instead, I purchased new GM reproduction urethane bumpers, while pricey, they fit well and the paint has held up. The painting process is a lot quicker, as there is no stripping old paint and filling any defects.

Last edited by mark79,80; 08-17-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:39 AM
Al Mc
Instructor

Originally Posted by mark79,80
I don't have any to sell, but want to share my experience with used ones to possibly save you some wasted time and money: I needed them for a 1980 and drove over 300 miles to purchase two used ones. Each one had hairline cracks in the paint which I figured would be fine, as after stripping the paint, the bumper could be repainted. However, the cracks turned out to be in the bumper, fine enough to not be felt by hand, but would telegraph thru the new paint.

Instead, I purchased new GM reproduction urethane bumpers, while pricey, they fit well and the paint has held up. The painting process is a lot quicker, as there is no stripping old paint and filling any defects.
Thanks much for the insight. I have those same thoughts about buying used. Wilcox gave me a good price on new, but the shipping cost is outrageous.

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 Bumper Covers

Quick Reply: 1980 Bumper Covers