Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: Converting to Gen IV, love to find authentic center

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 10:13 PM
Downesrick
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Converting to Gen IV, love to find authentic center

Well my wife and I have finally had it with cruising top down in 90 degree weather and cooking! We also still want to drive the vert as much as possible...so we both agree it's time to install a after market AC system.
I have researched and have been told that the Gen IV was the coldest and most authentic you can buy....however when I look at the instructions and pieces that come with the kit I feel that to make it better it would be great if I could find a real one piece CENTER VENT and a true AC CONTROL MODULE.

CF NATION: Is there anyone out there who for a reasonable price can sell me the center grill and duct (I need the mounting half of the duct), and the real switch and wheel selection module?
i ask for reasonable because I'm already spending about 1500 for the kit and another 1500 to have it installed. I could go with the new stuff, but my vert is so original that I really want people to think it's factory at first glance. The parts don't have to be perfect, I can always spend a few bucks to get them reconditioned. I checked eBay and people want 100 for just the grill, the entire center duct is 250 and up, the selector is 200 to 250...I'm not trying to spend another 500 dollars on parts that I will get in the kit or already have.
If everyone thinks that is the only way, then I will have to go with what comes with the kit and my non AC stuff will have to work.
I just thought it would be cool if I could put original stuff in places people can see. Any help or advice is appreciated!
Old 05-20-2017, 07:33 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Model year? Most of what you want should be available. My advice would be to avoid 68 since quite a lot of that was one year only.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:15 PM
Downesrick
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy Mike, that is my issue...I have a 68 and using other years is the same as using the stuff that comes with the Gen IV AC unit...my dilemma exactly!
one year only stuff everyone is looking for big bucks!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:07 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes Sir; I installed the complete set up out of a 69 into my 68. No problem. As I look back I think you could use almost any year of a C-3 & install it the same way. The 68 control is run by cables & the 69 went to Vacuum operation. Beats me the 67 had Vacuum, The G M. family must of thought they were saving money. LOL Check the heater core on the 69 & see how many years it is interchangeable. I used a 1/4 inch socket set to pull & install the thing. The only thing that has to change is the outside air Vent has to be molded into the fender. or left unused. Good Luck Gene

Last edited by doctorgene; 05-22-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Converting to Gen IV, love to find authentic center

Quick Reply: WTB: Converting to Gen IV, love to find authentic center