Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 1968 L71 427 435hp engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 05:33 PM
ChadTanner
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1968 L71 427 435hp engine

I live in southeast Missouri.

I'm having trouble uploading my pictures. here is a link to my CL ad with pictures. https://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/6202310219.html

I have a 427 engine that has been part of my family since the mid 1970s. I'm only 37, all of my life, this engine has been represented as an 1968 L71 Corvette engine.

In the early 1990s (I was old enough to remember ) The engine was still in it's stock configuration with the tri power intake. It was at this time, the engine had its first major overhaul / alterations. The block was bored .030 crank turned, decked, balanced and blueprinted. All bolts were replaced with studs, A solid lifter 292 lunati cam & roller rockers were added at this time along with a fluid damper. The intake(long gone) was swapped for a tunnel ram duel quad setup. The suffix code and vin #'s were machined off the deck pad during this overhaul.

The engine has stayed pretty much the same since then with only being freshened up a few times. My Nephew just had it gone through this spring with a new set of forged pistons. It still retains the original crank & rods. The engine is still fresh with only limited use since the work was done. Its about a 10.5 motor & runs great on 93 octane making power well over 5k rpm.

Without writing a book of short stories.. That's about all I know about the engine's history with my family. Over the years, It's been a terror on the streets and never had any catastrophe or major failures of any kind.

I acquired the engine from my nephew, because he's building a big cube/horsepower aluminum head motor and running low on funds.

The engine is a 4 bolt main, Block casting 3916321 with a casting date that appears to be November 1967. The heads have casting 8919840 with both dated March 1968. I casually asked a NCRS judge why the block is marked hi perf passenger (didn't sound right to me for a corvette block) he said "that is very typical for a 1968 L71 block " he also commented that "if it had the suffix code,(which it doesn't ) I see no reason for me to question the authenticity"

If someone sees any incorrect info here, please let me know,because I'm certainly not trying to deceive anyone.

If anyone is local, seriously interested in the engine, and also has cash in their pocket, I will do whatever I can to help you check out the engine. I have an engine run stand, but I don't have many spare BBC parts laying around. This engine is selling as a complete long block with no intake, carb or distributor. I'm also willing to work with you on the cost of putting the engine on a dyno to check it out.

$5000 or best offer. I'm wanting to sell it, this means cash talks! If you think you want this engine & have cash.... make an offer!

Text 573-748-8580
Call- 573-748-5032

Quick Reply: FS: 1968 L71 427 435hp engine