Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: BB fan clutch - AX stamp

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 10:42 AM
74VetteAZ
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default BB fan clutch - AX stamp

Hi All -

Looking for an original 70's 454 fan clutch. Eaton coiled element - AX ink stamp on front side. Flange diameter 2 9/16" - mounting hole diameter 3/4".

Thanks
Old 01-21-2018, 03:51 PM
grantstigers
Melting Slicks

Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 74VetteAZ
Hi All -

Looking for an original 70's 454 fan clutch. Eaton coiled element - AX ink stamp on front side. Flange diameter 2 9/16" - mounting hole diameter 3/4".

Thanks
Do you have a pic??
It seems you are looking for 75 and up and no 454 came in those years
original 74 454 used the flat bar type
Old 01-21-2018, 04:35 PM
74VetteAZ
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Thanks so much for your reply...

Believe it or not, in July of 1973, the rectangular flat bar type fan clutch (made by Schwitzer Corporation) was changed to a different manufacturer and design.

Eaton took over as the manufacturer...While the same diameter as the earlier model, the front or radiator side contains a bi-metallic thermostatic coil element surrounded by fins extending radially out to the edge of the clutch. The shaft has a darkened or black oxide appearance and contains a pronounced step between the flange and the clutch body unlike the early 1973 clutch.

This information was taken out of the 1973-74 Corvette Technical Information Manual and Judging Guide.

I am having a very frustrating time finding a fan clutch for my '74; 454 Big Block; with AC; Manual Transmission; No power steering. I have an NOS fan blade for it (GM 342715)--however, have not had any luck locating the clutch (343721). GM still makes a reproduction part that has 8 mounting holes and it's part number is 88961768. I want to keep my car original...going for Bowtie. Thanks so much for your time. Vic
Old 01-21-2018, 05:44 PM
grantstigers
Melting Slicks

Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 74VetteAZ
Believe it or not, in July of 1973, the rectangular flat bar type fan clutch (made by Schwitzer Corporation) was changed to a different manufacturer and design.

Eaton took over as the manufacturer...While the same diameter as the earlier model, the front or radiator side contains a bi-metallic thermostatic coil element surrounded by fins extending radially out to the edge of the clutch. The shaft has a darkened or black oxide appearance and contains a pronounced step between the flange and the clutch body unlike the early 1973 clutch.

This information was taken out of the 1973-74 Corvette Technical Information Manual and Judging Guide.

I am having a very frustrating time finding a fan clutch for my '74; 454 Big Block; with AC; Manual Transmission; No power steering. I have an NOS fan blade for it (GM 342715)--however, have not had any luck locating the clutch (343721). GM still makes a reproduction part that has 8 mounting holes and it's part number is 88961768. I want to keep my car original...going for Bowtie. Thanks so much for your time. Vic
hi Vic
Send me an email grantwong@telus.net
I didn't look through my 73 74 judging manual, have to find it
I have a 73 74 fan clutchs
Send me info as to your assembly date of your car.
I have a D81 AC fan with the tips for BB
Bowtie
Damn nice car!!

Get notified of new replies

To BB fan clutch - AX stamp

Quick Reply: WTB: BB fan clutch - AX stamp