Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: Old Hooker side exhaust set

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 10:57 AM
Paul71LT1
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Old Hooker side exhaust set

I have a Hooker Super Competition side exhaust set up that I just pulled off my '69 that will not be going back on. This is for a small block car and I'm going to a big block. From the records that came with the car, a former owner paid over $2,000, thirty years ago for this set. As the photos shows the headers are now a little crusty and there is some rust showing on the bottom of the side tubes nearest the joint to the headers. They still look good on the top and sides so they look nice on the car, and they sound great. Anyone who is interested can send me an e-mail address and I will forward you a video (too big to post here) of the car idling so you can hear what they sound like and see them on a car. The side tubes are currently stuck on the headers and I have given up trying to separate them There are options for reusing them though.
- They can be installed in one piece, either with the engine out (like I removed them), or with a two post lift that will get the car up high with lots of room to maneuver them into place.
- You could cut off the header pipes to save the side tubes
- You cut off the side tubes to save the headers
I'm asking only $200 for the set just as it sits. They can't be shipped and must be picked up in southeastern CT. I could drive a short distance to meet someone if that's what it takes to complete a sale. Please contact me via PM if interested.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:36 AM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Dude, I'm in DC, which is only about 6 hours. The problem is I'm not supposed to travel anywhere (anti Covid-19 actions). How long are they? If they'll fit in my car (Prius - I've put some surprising things in it. Too bad I sold the truck . . .), I might drive up next weekend, if they're still available. I'll have to check with the boss - this is a "permission rather than forgiveness" situation. Good thing I love my job (USAF E-7) . . .

Corby
The following users liked this post:
buzz2none (03-21-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 01:05 PM
KaelFarmer
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Should not need to cut them. With a little work and a lot of patience, they may be able to be taken apart at the slip joint shortly after the 4 pipes come together into one.

Kael
Old 03-15-2020, 01:12 PM
KaelFarmer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corby'sMarilyn68
...... How long are they? If they'll fit in my car (Prius - I've put some surprising things in it. Too bad I sold the truck . . .), I might drive up

Corby

Corby,

First of all, thanks for your service. I am not positive, but I think you could fit these inside of your Prius. If it were me, I would likely run the long straight sections either between the front seats or lay back the passenger seat and have the long sections go over the top of the seat (probably lay some cardboard or cloth over the seat to keep it clean)

That is how I used to haul 10' lengths of rebar, angle iron, and lumber in a little Saturn that I had. Longer lengths required that I drove with the trunk lid partially open

Kael
Old 03-15-2020, 01:35 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Awesome deal. I only wish you were in TX and they were for BB.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:57 PM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KaelFarmer
Corby,

First of all, thanks for your service. I am not positive, but I think you could fit these inside of your Prius. If it were me, I would likely run the long straight sections either between the front seats or lay back the passenger seat and have the long sections go over the top of the seat (probably lay some cardboard or cloth over the seat to keep it clean)

That is how I used to haul 10' lengths of rebar, angle iron, and lumber in a little Saturn that I had. Longer lengths required that I drove with the trunk lid partially open

Kael
Kael,

That's in line with what I was thinking. Thanks for the constructive comment.

If I can go get them, I'll probably have them powder coated black. I'm working on buying a '68 right now, which I will (long term plan) paint white. I think flat black pipes on a white convertible would look sweet. I haven't been able to find a pic of a white Vette with black side pipes.

And thank you for your support.

Corby

Last edited by Corby'sMarilyn68; 03-15-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:50 PM
Paul71LT1
Pro

Default They really are stuck!

Corby,

If you can make the trip you have first dibs. It would be 6 to 7 hours from DC. FYI, the overall length is 80 inches. If you would like to hear them at idle, PM me your e-mail and I can send you a short video clip.

Kael,

The job of separating these is bigger than you would think. I strapped them between two steel columns with a heavy rope and a comealong in the mix. With about a half a ton of steady load applied I added PB blaster and let it soak, then applied heat and a hammer and drift pin and never got any movement at all. While it may be possible to get them apart, I decided that it was not worth any more effort on my part and I would only damage them if I kept at it.

Paul
Corby'sMarilyn68 (03-15-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 04:01 PM
KaelFarmer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corby'sMarilyn68
Kael,

That's in line with what I was thinking. Thanks for the constructive comment.

If I can go get them, I'll probably have them powder coated black. I'm working on buying a '68 right now, which I will (long term plan) paint white. I think flat black pipes on a white convertible would look sweet. I haven't been able to find a pic of a white Vette with black side pipes.

And thank you for your support.

Corby
Not a 68, but here you go

Kael
The following 2 users liked this post by KaelFarmer:
Corby'sMarilyn68 (03-15-2020), jim-81 (04-07-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 08:15 PM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KaelFarmer
Not a 68, but here you go

Kael
Yeah, I'm definitely a fan of that look. Thanks!

Corby
Old 03-15-2020, 08:22 PM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Paul71LT1
Corby,

If you can make the trip you have first dibs. It would be 6 to 7 hours from DC. FYI, the overall length is 80 inches. If you would like to hear them at idle, PM me your e-mail and I can send you a short video clip.
Those will definitely fit in the car, I'll only have to move the passenger seat up some. I'll let you know if I can get permission to drive up next weekend.

Corby
Old 03-16-2020, 12:29 AM
Puniphorous
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

If he is unable, I would be interested.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:44 PM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Just to let you know - My boss is alright with me taking the trip, but we're waiting on direction from higher HQ as to what defines "local area", and how far one is able to travel on local leave. Hopefully we will get an answer today or tomorrow. As soon as I know, I'll let you know.

Corby
Old 03-20-2020, 08:00 PM
Puniphorous
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Where does this currently stand?
Old 03-20-2020, 10:14 PM
Corby'sMarilyn68
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Puniphorous
Where does this currently stand?
I'm not going to be allowed to travel that far. So, I'm out.

Corby
Old 03-21-2020, 04:36 PM
Paul71LT1
Pro

The side pipes are still available. No one "local" to me has yet expressed interest. If that doesn't happen soon I'm going to post them to my local Craig's list and try to find a local buyer. I just wanted to give the forum users fist shot.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:04 AM
Paul71LT1
Pro

Sale pending. Completion of the transaction will be delayed due to the COVID 19 travel limitations. I will re-up this posting if that deal should fall through.

Thank you to all who expressed interest.
KaelFarmer (03-22-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 06:28 PM
lastcaveman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Would you consider shipping via Grayhound if you cut them at the joint with a sawsall ?

Get notified of new replies

To Old Hooker side exhaust set

Old 04-06-2020, 11:27 AM
corvette kidd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pm'd
Old 04-06-2020, 07:40 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcaveman
Would you consider shipping via Grayhound if you cut them at the joint with a sawsall ?
FWIW , I had a similar problem with mine , rusted solid , ended up cutting just past the join flange and then carefully cut on the overlap and pealed it off . Truck exhaust shops sell 4 inch exhaust so we bought two flanged ends and welded them on , good as new , but getting them ceramic coated so no sign of the weld .
Old 04-10-2020, 09:23 AM
427tripower
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll buy them if your deal falls through, thanks

Quick Reply: FS: Old Hooker side exhaust set