Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break-in oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Break-in oil?

What type Dino oil should I use to break in my rebuilt BB?

Sorry, wrong forum. :bb

[Modified by Jughead, 8:57 AM 2/17/2004]
Old 02-17-2004, 05:44 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Break-in oil? (Jughead)

YO Len, you have mail :)
Old 02-19-2004, 07:43 PM
JC6372
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Len, Let me know what you find out on this.... :thumbs:
Old 02-22-2004, 06:06 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The machine shop owner near me recommends straight 30 weight oil. He has rebuilt a 327 for me and a 350 and 454 for other Corvette friends. I have used this for all three break in runs. RIght after the cam is broken in I change the oil and filter, using 10W-30.
Gary
Old 02-25-2004, 09:46 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Break-in oil? (GaryS)

Let me give you a major TECH TIP if you are breaking in a flat tappet camshaft engine: modern motor oils have had most of the Zinc anti-seize compounds removed from them to protect late model engines with catalytic converters on them. The Zinc clogs the converters like the Tetraethyl Lead in older gasoline did but, takes longer to perform this bad deed. The latest oils have little to no Extreme Pressure additives for flat tappet performance camshafts. Valvoline has released a new line of racing oil that should be avaliable through any NAPA store that will solve your dilemma or run an additive like the GM cam break-in additive. I like 30wt motor oil for a stocker style street motor or a 10-40 to 20-50wt oil for performance engines. The roller cam stuff runs great on synthetic (Syntec or Mobil 1) but, there can be gasket sealing issues on older engines with the synthetic lubes that should be dealt with during the engine rebuild if you intend to run synthetic oils later on (things like the 1 piece silicone oil pan gaskets and high quality valve stem seals.) I have alway had a "pain in my gut" every time I've ever lit-off a big solid lifter Big Block Chevy with stiff valve springs (even when I have taken the inner springs out for break-in.) Be forwarned! your flat tappet cams are being sacrificed for progress at the Government's mandate for cleaner air.

Get notified of new replies

To Break-in oil?

Quick Reply: Break-in oil?