C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Entire California Smog System From

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 04:06 PM
jojomamma1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Entire California Smog System From

I Have Moved To Central Nevada And Do Not Require Smog Therefore I Want To Remove All Smog Parts From My 1981 Corvette 350 Engine. Anyone Know About This?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:27 PM
platato
Pro

Location: The Armpit of Illinois Platato says..... "Sometimes your the windshield & sometimes your the bug".
St. Jude Donor '05

Hey!

When you figure out how to de-smog your 81 keep me in mind because I have a 81 California Vette here in Illinois and am planning on moving back to California. I'm sure anything you don't need would be very useful to me. California, from what I remember, is a real bitch with emissions. Keep me posted on what you decide and keep me in mind

Platato
Old 01-27-2005, 04:32 PM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

That smog stuff is worth some money these days. You also want to review the manuals for your car to determine what you need to keep on it to run properly. Minimum to keep and use is the PCV valve. I wouldn't just go pulling everything off - as long as you are using all your stock parts on that engine.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:32 PM
jojomamma1
2nd Gear

Ok!
Old 01-27-2005, 04:42 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jojomamma1
I Have Moved To Central Nevada And Do Not Require Smog Therefore I Want To Remove All Smog Parts From My 1981 Corvette 350 Engine. Anyone Know About This?
I guess my question would be.."Why do you want to remove all these parts?"

Its not like they are robbing you of huge amounts of HP..sure.. I'll be the first to chime in and say get rid of the exhaust system and put on true duals with headers...thats is good way to wake the motor up. The intake can easily be replaced with a better one too.. point is, you can usually have your cake...and eat most of it too.

Though go to duals?...you could run dual cats and not really lose any HP...

Most of the rest of that stuff (apart from exhaust) isnt killing the motor, some of it will actually help (pcv for example). Your 81 has the feedback carb IIRC...that is something worth replacing IMO...but a motor like that can be easily built to over 300 hp and still be smoggable.

T'aint no big thing either way...like I've said to others...if you take the stuff off...keep it, you never know when you might need it again.. and it costs a small fortune to replace.

my .02
Old 01-27-2005, 04:53 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The '81 is more difficult to desmog than cars from previous years. It uses a computer-controlled carb and distributor, plus the computer controls the tranny lockup. At the very least, be prepared to replace the carb and distributor with pre-smog units -- and if you're not experienced at all of this, consider getting some expert help.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:24 PM
vetteman1100
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to remove the smog equipment, don't unless you are going to eliminate the computer controll carb and distributer. The carb has sensors that will melt if you dont have all of the equipment. Then the computer can't manage the air flow and it will not run right. The Sept. 2004 issue of VETTE MAGAZINE page 91 has an article on a replacement for the 81 carb and dist. that is a direct replacement and uses all of the stock hookups. Then you can ditch the air pump,cat and go to a true dual exhaust,( MidAmerica has a true dual setup for around $190.00). If you want a copy of the VETTE MAG article send me a PM with your email and I will send it to you.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Entire California Smog System From

Quick Reply: Removing Entire California Smog System From