C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame changes, automatic to manual +

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 01:38 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Frame changes, automatic to manual +

I was curious, how hard is it to make a automatic frame into a manual one? Just the clutch Z bar pivot is the only difference, right? Is it just welded on?

Also, a 68 and 69 frame: I have a 68, and am looking at a 69 frame. My understanding is that the only difference (that matters) is the front frame horn extentions? Is this correct?

Now, to modify, do I need to extend the front frame horns, or can I just use 69-72 bumper extentions/brackets? I would assume that this would work, considering that the bumpre is the same.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Cris
Old 02-02-2005, 01:53 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

There are two main differences on auto's and manuals.

1. The transmission cross member is bolt in for auto's, actually makes it easier for that auto to mnul conversion.

2. You have to weld the clutch cross bar mount onto the inner chassis rail below the brake power booster/master cylinder.

Not sure about the bumper part.

Nick
Old 02-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

or you can buy the bolt-0n cross shaft hanger that they used in the 80-81's. I have an early weld on peice and a later bolt on peice. Haven't decised which way to go yet. Whether bolted or welded, the diminsions and heigth appear the same...
Old 02-02-2005, 02:26 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettecris
Also, a 68 and 69 frame: I have a 68, and am looking at a 69 frame. My understanding is that the only difference (that matters) is the front frame horn extentions? Is this correct?

Cris
Visually, the 68 and 69 frame look alike in the front. I'm pretty sure all of the front bumper supports, extentions, and bumpers are interchangeable. I'd be surprised if there's any difference.

I think the only difference between the 68 and 69 frame is that the early 68 frames were lacking a reinforcing gusset where the wheel arch is welded to the to the forward part of the frame.

All of the C3 frame changes throughout the years are discussed, with photos, in a corvettefac.com. article. I tried to find it, but the corvettefac server is just really slow right now.

Get notified of new replies

To Frame changes, automatic to manual +

Quick Reply: Frame changes, automatic to manual +