C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weatherstrip Tips - 1976

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 09:07 AM
pdgourno
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Weatherstrip Tips - 1976

Couple of things I did that helped eliminate wind noise and drafts in my car.

(1) I originally bought the Corvette Rubber T-Top weatherstrip from Wilcox that runs about $70 or so a pair. It worked pretty good but not the way I wanted it.

(2) Replaced the above T-Top weatherstrip with Eckler's product that runs about $120 or so for the pair. I new I had a better chance of success with this product as soon as I saw it. More original product looking and not the foam rubber style.

(3) Prior to installing this or any weather strip I do two things. (1) For a couple of days I lay the weatherstrip out and spray it with silicon spray I bought from the NAPA store nearby. You want the one that says eliminates squeaks not the one that says losens rusted parts. (2) An hour before installing the weatherstrip I lay it on top of the dryer in the laundry room and run the dryer to warm up the weatherstrip a little.

(4) There is a piece of weatherstrip that is easy to overlook. It is the piece behind your left shoulder when you are in the drivers seat. Behind your right shoulder if you are in the passenger seat. It is the vertical piece at the rear of the window. The parts I got from Ecklers have what I call a flap or pocket where the window comes in contact with the weatherstrip. With scissors, I cut a piece of weatherstrip from the old piece, maybe 12 inches long and 1/4 inch wide and tuck it into that pocket so it is out of sight. I tapered the ends so it fits the curve of the window better. That extra bit of reinforcement makes for a perfect fit between the weatherstrip and the curved window.

I knew I had it just right the other day. The interior rear window fogged up on the way to work due to the cabin being nicely sealed.

Hope this helps somebody.

David
Old 02-13-2005, 11:53 AM
dwe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the tips, this project is comming up for me.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:18 PM
LIQUIDDRAGON
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the post. i will also be installing all new weather stripping on my car next month and this should help me out alot.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Corvus
Burning Brakes

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2005, 05:52 PM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#4 sounds like a neat little trick....never thought of doing that.
Thanks for the tips.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:56 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Good tips David. Did you glue the t-top seals or just use the push pins for attaching the weather strips?
Old 02-13-2005, 06:11 PM
yellovette
Instructor

Here's another tip for installing weatherstrip on any part of the car. Lay up your new rubber prior to gluing, so that it fits all around where it's going to go. Mark with a felt marker, at short intervals, the rubber and a matching point on the body part that its being mounted to. This will guarantee that when your are gluing you have just the exact amount of stretch to your rubber as you go around and you won't find out when its too late that you've got too much rubber or not enough as you get to the finish point.

Yellovette
Old 02-13-2005, 06:30 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Willcox sells Missaukee brand weatherstrip. I wonder what brand Ecklers sells?
Old 02-13-2005, 07:44 PM
pdgourno
Racer

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Good tips David. Did you glue the t-top seals or just use the push pins for attaching the weather strips?
I use DAP black silicon gasket sealant to glue it down instead of the 3M weatherstrip adhesive. The weatherstrip adhesive gets everywhere when I try to use it. The silicon sealant is easier to find in my area also. Home Depot and most car parts stores have the sealant under some brand name.

David
Old 02-13-2005, 07:48 PM
pdgourno
Racer

Originally Posted by Older Than Dirt
I can't help with your question. The way the Ecklers weatherstrip arrived gave no clues or, if it did, I missed it.

The Wilcox weatherstrip said Corvette Rubber Co or else I read that when I was purchasing it.

David
Old 02-13-2005, 08:40 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Older Than Dirt
That's interesting since Missaukee is also the brand being sold in the group purchase. Of course the seller says Missaukee is the best. I'm looking for a set for my 75. Sounds like the Ecklers product may be the best? Any other opinions on Missaukee?

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstrip Tips - 1976

Quick Reply: Weatherstrip Tips - 1976