C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 12:54 PM
SMH
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front suspension kits

What is the best front end kit for the money. Looking at redoing mine and just looking at my options.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:30 PM
VBP
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07,'13

SMH,
Most good front end rebuild kits will include all 4 tie rod ends and ball joints as well as an idler arm and control arm bushings. Sway bar end links and bushings are usually options or inexpensive upgrades. The two important differences will be the type of control arm bushings (rubber or polyurethane) you choose depending on your driving needs and if the front end wear parts are American made or not.

Graphite impregnated Polyurethane bushings will always be black (as the graphite powder is) and will not squeak if properly installed. They will last virtually forever and will rotate more like a bearing instead of twisting (very self destructive) like a pressed rubber bushing. The poly bushings are very hard and do not deflect like a rubber bushing so the front end geometry stays more constant so the car should handle better.

Rubber bushings (in my experience) last around 40K miles which is more than adequate for me. I have had both types on my cars and truthfully could not feel much difference. However, my cars are daily drivers - autocross or road racing guys could probably feel the difference right away. Just something too think about.

The only reason I push for American made ball joints, idler arm, etc. is that the grade of steel we use is almost always better that a "comparable" imported steel part. I did not know this until working in the industry for many years. Check out our kits at VBandP.com and you might also want to check out places like Summit and PST (Performance Suspension Technology), Eckler's and MidAmerica ...

Sincerely,
Alan Gonzalez
Vette Brakes & Products, Inc.
St. Petersburg, FL
alan@VBandP.com
Old 02-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought mine from VB&P and am very happy. I went with poly all around.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart's74
I bought mine from VB&P and am very happy. I went with poly all around.
I'm also pleased with my VBP suspension. I went all around front & rear with the poly (also got a complete set of new calipers, rotors, etc).
Old 02-15-2005, 03:16 PM
kona
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently used VBP deluxe rubber front end kit. Everything as promised great product even better service.

Kona
Old 02-15-2005, 04:11 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

VBP is the way to go....
Old 02-15-2005, 04:41 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This will be next winters project and will be a Van Steel kit...
Old 02-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the VBP deluxe poly kit on my '81, plus springs, shocks, etc. Not cheap, but worth every penny. :thumbs
Old 02-15-2005, 05:17 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

VB&P -I've used various kits from some of the vette suppliers. I like Moog ball joints but found the upper joint boots were too short, my friend in Texas also found this with his replacement boots. Do you have any that are the full length like the originals?
Thanks,
Gary
Old 02-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Nate '69
Pro

Always used VBP suspension products and very happy - great customer service too.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:27 PM
C4kid94
Racer

I used energy suspension because it took to long to get the bushing and i needed to do it that day although i did order the suspension rebuild kit and used the ball loints and other stuff.the vb and p bushings look really good though.although i was disapointed when i didnt get my zerk fitting covers.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:27 AM
SMH
Racer

Thanks sounds like VBandP.com is where I will go.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:36 PM
den(thevetteman)78
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What would be the normal life in milles for lower ball joint ? Because i bought a kit from VBP and back then it didn't say what kind of warranty they had. Now the same part number have a limited lifetime warranty. I bought them like 12 years ago but only put like 15,000 milles on it and last year i had to change the two lower ball joint.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Maco78
Advanced

Originally Posted by VBP
SMH,
Most good front end rebuild kits will include all 4 tie rod ends and ball joints as well as an idler arm and control arm bushings. Sway bar end links and bushings are usually options or inexpensive upgrades. The two important differences will be the type of control arm bushings (rubber or polyurethane) you choose depending on your driving needs and if the front end wear parts are American made or not.

Graphite impregnated Polyurethane bushings will always be black (as the graphite powder is) and will not squeak if properly installed. They will last virtually forever and will rotate more like a bearing instead of twisting (very self destructive) like a pressed rubber bushing. The poly bushings are very hard and do not deflect like a rubber bushing so the front end geometry stays more constant so the car should handle better.

Rubber bushings (in my experience) last around 40K miles which is more than adequate for me. I have had both types on my cars and truthfully could not feel much difference. However, my cars are daily drivers - autocross or road racing guys could probably feel the difference right away. Just something too think about.

The only reason I push for American made ball joints, idler arm, etc. is that the grade of steel we use is almost always better that a "comparable" imported steel part. I did not know this until working in the industry for many years. Check out our kits at VBandP.com and you might also want to check out places like Summit and PST (Performance Suspension Technology), Eckler's and MidAmerica ...

Sincerely,
Alan Gonzalez
Vette Brakes & Products, Inc.
St. Petersburg, FL
alan@VBandP.com

Had a friend use that company on a 72 says he feels tighter in the turns, and a nice restored ride height. I wouldnt say it was the cheapest, but i think its a good buy.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:20 PM
den(thevetteman)78
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a lot of stuff from them (VBP) in the past. IT's been a while i didn't because it's too good, everything is like new. Except for two lower ball joint that i had to change last year. And i didn't have the time to order from them so i bought from a local dealer. But i will buy again from them when in need for something.

Get notified of new replies

To Front suspension kits

Quick Reply: Front suspension kits