C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on 1969 Power Steering setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,480 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Default Need help on 1969 Power Steering setup

I have a 1969 427 Tri-Power with Manual Steering, non A/C that I知 adding Power Steering to and need some help on a couple of items before I place my parts order tomorrow.

Question 1

I have a complete system from a 1977 Vette (from the steering box down) and know that the P/S pump is different from a 1969. This pump is for 75-79 and has a press fit pulley shaft where the 65-74 pump has a tapered pulley shaft. I知 thinking that the BB cast iron pulley will not fit on the 1977 P/S pump I have. Does this sound correct? Also, if the pulley will work, will this pump fit with the BB brackets?

Question 2

I can稚 seem to break the code on my pulley belt setup. I have a 3 groove pulley on my water pump and a 2 groove pulley on the crank (stamped steel). My 1969 AIM shows the correct belt setup on page RPO 71, Sheet A7, view A. Track #1 is water pump to crank, Track #2 is water pump to crank to P/S pump, Track #3 is A.I.R. pump to water pump. I can稚 seem to find the correct belt for track #1, I have tried corvette vendors and several belts from NAPA and nothing seems to fit. Any ideas on a P/N I can cross over or a P/N for the correct belt? I知 at a lose here on what to do. My water pump and crank pulley are a Deep Groove 427 setup, when I crossed the numbers they came up as 68-69 427 pulleys.

Thanks in advance for any help here.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:50 AM
88'Cubka
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Question 3, buy steeroids.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Mr. D

I have a Kelly Springfield #15320 (11AV0815) 1,1cm x 81,5cm on my 69 427 groove 1. (crank to WP). It fits fine, but you have to slide the wp pulley on the fan studs at a slight angle. Then as you tighten up the fan on the studs it tightens up the belt tension just about right. If my memory serves, the origial configuration had a tension adjust pulley that provided for a larger diameter belt.

Bullshark
Old 02-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bullshark
Mr. D

I have a Kelly Springfield #15320 (11AV0815) 1,1cm x 81,5cm on my 69 427 groove 1. (crank to WP). It fits fine, but you have to slide the wp pulley on the fan studs at a slight angle. Then as you tighten up the fan on the studs it tightens up the belt tension just about right. If my memory serves, the origial configuration had a tension adjust pulley that provided for a larger diameter belt.

Bullshark
Dennus, Bullshark is correct. No one lists the crank to water pump belt anymore. I don't know why. You can fit a belt as above, and it will work, saving you the roughly $200 to $250 cost of installing a new idler pulley (available from ZIP, Dr. Rebuild and others). If you go with the tensioner installation, you will use a belt that is roughly 1/2" longer than the one Bullshark lists above. It's a trial and error kind of fitting.

By the way the equipment works great. The sandblast cabinet is literally a blast for cleaning rusted parts up. Thanks again.

Steve
Old 02-20-2005, 11:30 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
I have a 1969 427 Tri-Power with Manual Steering, non A/C that I知 adding Power Steering to and need some help on a couple of items before I place my parts order tomorrow.

I can稚 seem to find the correct belt for track #1, I have tried corvette vendors and several belts from NAPA and nothing seems to fit. Any ideas on a P/N I can cross over or a P/N for the correct belt? I知 at a lose here on what to do. My water pump and crank pulley are a Deep Groove 427 setup, when I crossed the numbers they came up as 68-69 427 pulleys.

Thanks in advance for any help here.
This is the crank to water pump pulley. Do you have an idler wheel for this belt? As I remember it I could buy a belt that would exactly fit and I didn't have to use the idler pully. Installing this belt was a big problem but it could be done. Of course, you had to have the correct belt, which it appears you don't know what the correct size is. I suppose just buy a bunch of belts of various sizes and hope that one fits. If you had the idler wheel, getting belt to fit ....and installing it ...will be a lot easier. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I do have fond memories of installing this belt...and chosing not to use the the idler wheel.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:52 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,480 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Thanks for the info, I will try to pick up the belt today at NAPA. I got the 77 power steering system broke down and the pump will not work on a 69 427. Oh well, once I buy all the BB stuff I'm still about $400 under a new Kit price. This car is a money pit.

Steve, good to hear the blast cabnet is working good. I just parked car #2 in my garage for the first time in 3 years. The 69 project is almost on the road.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help on 1969 Power Steering setup

Quick Reply: Need help on 1969 Power Steering setup