C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh for the love of parking brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 01:31 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats! Mine works OK and I have no plans to improve it anytime soon (have better things to improve).
Old 03-01-2005, 03:59 PM
77 vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK you guys have me worried, I snaped mine in in less than 10 minutes, hope I got it right, it's been awhile sense I removed them and my books are not very clear on this, I had to reroute the cable to the inside of the trailing arm because of the relocation of the parking brake mount, after a close inspection I found that I had to bend the new rear brake line bracket to give clearance between the parking brake cable and the rear brake line, I do have new Van Steel off set trailing arms (really nice stuff), I wonder if this is why I had a easy cable install, I also haven't adjusted the cable yet, I need to install the exhaust first as the cable will probly ride the pipe, just waiting on my shortened spring to arrive first. I just routed the cable through the trailing arm mount, loosened the cable to get more slack, snapped it into the spindle c clip, pulled the spring in and snapped it in, "done".
Old 03-01-2005, 04:20 PM
zzrck
Intermediate

Has anyone tried this ? parking brake
might be an intresting solution to replace our nice factory setup for those of us who , like me, need a parking brake.But it's not cheap.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:04 PM
jimiscnc
Instructor

Hey ZZZ

They mention machining the yoke. Can these driveshaft ebrakes actually be used on a Corvette?
(they were designed for street rods, which may have more room in the right places)

thanks!

jim
Old 03-02-2005, 08:49 AM
ruby76
Drifting

Location: Fairview Heights Illinois, near Saint Louis MO, STL C3 Shark
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just checked the brake pads on my wifes pontiac last night. The parking brake uses the rear calipers instead of a psuedo drum setup. I wonder if you could replace the calipers with a set that also is utilized for the p-brake? Pretty much looked like the cable pulled a lever which added pressure to the back of the piston or something - I didn't get too good of a look as I was in a hurry.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:10 PM
zzrck
Intermediate

They mention machining the yoke. Can these driveshaft ebrakes actually be used on a Corvette?
I don't have any personal experience whit these brakes but they list a kit specificaly made for 63 to 79 corvettes and they don't mention any machining or anything like that as required.
the " **Must Machine Yoke " foot note is for a Chrysler kit.

I accidently came accross this site and was wondering if it was a better solution than our "fun to play with" factory Ebrakes.

I wonder if you could replace the calipers with a set that also is utilized for the p-brake?
I guess we could BUT most likely not a bolt on job, it would require to machine a new adapter to attach the calipers.But definitly something to consider if you decide to use non factory type calipers.

Quick Reply: Oh for the love of parking brakes