C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just when I think I have seen the ugliest Corvette ever

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 05:06 PM
84rzv500r
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BSeery
Yep - I would buy that car if I had the money. It is a pretty good example of the CAN-AM or IMSA GTP cars of the mid-70's era.
Fix the ugly *** tail lights, get rid of the side pipes and go with a real race exhaust system. Put in fixed head lights that go in place of the orignial pop-ups and fix the front grill where they put the lights by mistake. You have a nice "retro racer" platform there.

Those cars were what the C5-R and C6-R are today.

That and I am partial to the IMSA look. I had a Monza very much like the one below.

The H body stuff is around but mama says no to another project car
http://www.racingjunk.com/exec/ca/vi...-Car.html?gp=3
Old 03-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BTW, what gm book would that be? I have the power manual, it doesn't list them, also have the trans-am/vette book, doesn't list them... ????
Old 03-11-2005, 05:07 PM
cannonfl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer GO....
Old 03-11-2005, 05:22 PM
84rzv500r
Drifting

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
BTW, what gm book would that be? I have the power manual, it doesn't list them, also have the trans-am/vette book, doesn't list them... ????
Chevrolet Power Service Manual 2nd edition 1975.

It lists a narrower set that look like the panels on my car (mine is an ecklers kit) and a wide set that look like the GT-1 class car.

BTW the 6th edition lists the massive C4 fenders which will be my next project after I get the C3 done
Old 03-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

I have the 5th edition Can you scan the pages or are they just a couple of photos and part #s ?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:51 PM
swtato
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 72Tornado
I...I just don't get it. Why is it that arguably the most beautiful car design ever created is also the most horrifically molested?
There is an old saying in the car business, "There is an A$$ for every seat!"
Old 03-11-2005, 09:17 PM
84rzv500r
Drifting

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
I have the 5th edition Can you scan the pages or are they just a couple of photos and part #s ?

Not a problem if you can wait a day or so. Some drawings and lists of part numbers and descriptions.

I'm off to grizzly.com to get some V blocks and a set of 2 or 4 flute end mills 'cause I'm making my own front spreader bar and rear strut rods. I'm getting tired of paying for some one else to do it.

I do have 2nd edition version of the chassis manual scanned and it is quite a bit better (PDF so that you can blow it up for detail) than the on line version to tide you over.

Old 03-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

sure..I can wait, there's no rush

the pdf on corvettefaq is pretty poor quality indeed. I don't know how large it is but only my gmail addy holds over 4 megs, it's twinturbov8 @ gmail.com
Old 03-12-2005, 10:11 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,050 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by 84rzv500r
Not a problem if you can wait a day or so. Some drawings and lists of part numbers and descriptions.

I'm off to grizzly.com to get some V blocks and a set of 2 or 4 flute end mills 'cause I'm making my own front spreader bar and rear strut rods. I'm getting tired of paying for some one else to do it.

I do have 2nd edition version of the chassis manual scanned and it is quite a bit better (PDF so that you can blow it up for detail) than the on line version to tide you over.

I84rzv500r,
think I saw your car on Ebay when it was the "Batmobile". It looked like a great place to launch a project or just fix it up to your own preference. Glad someone is taking good care of that one.

The thing about the wide bodies is that you can not just slap them together and expect them to look "right". It takes the correct stance, the right colors, the right wheels, and above all the proper execution to achieve "the look". The stock Vette is beautiful but major modifications have to be done with taste or you end up with a mess.

There was an all black widebody Vette with black Epsilon wheels parked in a lot across from of the Cheektowaga NY police station back in the early 80's. It was owned by the owner of a body shop who also owned an antique Ferrari. One day he put a for sale sign on the Vette so I inquired. He said it was a real Greenwood and it could be had for $25,000 at the time. Seems like a real bargain to me now. This car was incredible AWESOME!!! and done "right".

He did not get to sell it but he did later paint it screaming yellow with wild graphics in an effort to get it on the cover of a magazine. He succeded in getting the cover shot on the magazine but the car was now totaly trashed as far as I was concerned. The only change was the paint and wheels. It went from "Christy Brinkley" to "Chris Farley" with just a few changes to the car. Same car, same body lines, but the personality went right into the crapper. I would buy that car in a heartbeat today if I could find it but it would have to go back to black and sexy before I would be seen in it.

-Mark.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:00 AM
1971corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts

if this was fixed up nicely ,most of you guys would be drooling over it ,i sit and watch your responses and just laugh to myself.
How easy it is to cut down on a project that is not finished,or are they really ever finished.that is what this is all about ,doing what you enjoy.Be it stock,custom or anything in between.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:12 AM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I couldn't respond to the other thread without... ...responding to this one.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Porch40
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, if John Wayne saw this he'd say put a bullet in the radiator and bury it.

If Homer Simpson saw it he'd say, 'BURN IT, SEND IT TO H***!!'

You KNOW the Car Gods are beside themselves... bet the boys who created this abomination break down every 100 miles and can't figure out why ...
Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 AM
bananashark
Instructor

I know this is a very old thread, but does anyone have pics or info on this car? It sounds like it might be my current project car, and I am trying to trace it's history Thanks,J.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:18 AM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by bananashark
I know this is a very old thread, but does anyone have pics or info on this car? It sounds like it might be my current project car, and I am trying to trace it's history Thanks,J.
Pics?? Sorry I don't have more info, but I'd love to see it!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:33 PM
bananashark
Instructor

Sorry I'm not so good at posting pics...here are some of the pics, of the car a few are before I got it, and the somewhat cleaned up ones, are after I got wheels ,tires, sidepipes, and side grilles added...the car is currently in pieces being fully restored (as a widebody) the panels are very uncommon and wider than eckler's or greenwood, and the car has a Motion hood, and various Motion pieces..Thanks.J.

Last edited by bananashark; 11-08-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: posted wrong pics
Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 PM
esierra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 69 Vette with Greenwood racing body side panels similar to yours, Wondering what size tires are on there, there's no good selection of wide 15 inch tires, I've looked MT / Hoosiers, Summit racing and nothing that really fits my needs. Currently it has old Pro trac N 50 15 & G 50 15 on 10 & 12 inch wide wheels. Looking for a street tire 275-50-15, 315 to 335-50-15 that dont exits.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:01 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by BSeery
I am partial to the IMSA look. I had a Monza very much like the one below.

Sorry to hear that.

Get notified of new replies

To Just when I think I have seen the ugliest Corvette ever

Old 11-10-2011, 08:03 PM
bananashark
Instructor

My car has Western Hurricane rims on it in the better pics..they are only 8.5" wide(I cheated a bit, i have a 3" wheel adapter on each of the back ones, and there is still plenty of room)...I really want a wider rim, but I don't have any money right now..and we are really deep into this car..frame off, birdcage replacement..etc....My tires are Cooper Cobra Gt, 295/50/15 all around..I got them as blems for 90 bux each off the ebay about 3 years ago..BFG also makes that size tire..it's a fairly common truck tire, so it's only S rated i believe...Nitto makes a 315 but they are hard to find and pretty pricey....Thanks for your reply..do You have any pics of your car..I would Love to see it..J.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:48 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bananashark
Sorry I'm not so good at posting pics...here are some of the pics, of the car a few are before I got it, and the somewhat cleaned up ones, are after I got wheels ,tires, sidepipes, and side grilles added...the car is currently in pieces being fully restored (as a widebody) the panels are very uncommon and wider than eckler's or greenwood, and the car has a Motion hood, and various Motion pieces..Thanks.J.

Too many taillights, but I guess you do need something to fill up the increased area of the rear end, I would probably be ok with six taillights (get rid of the center two) and I don't like the inset headlights, I would keep stock flip up lights. Other than that, I think it's an awesome car. Just a couple of minor details really, and everyone has their own taste, right? I hope you have a great time with it, whatever you choose to do with it.

Scott
Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 PM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Too many taillights, but I guess you do need something to fill up the increased area of the rear end, I would probably be ok with six taillights (get rid of the center two) and I don't like the inset headlights, I would keep stock flip up lights. Other than that, I think it's an awesome car. Just a couple of minor details really, and everyone has their own taste, right? I hope you have a great time with it, whatever you choose to do with it.

Scott

I think the Le Mans style headlights might look good on this car.

Quick Reply: Just when I think I have seen the ugliest Corvette ever