C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW 2500 stall speed torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:58 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
Gary, no leaking what so ever....even the master cylinder was topped off

GKull, i misspoke my christmas gift was a combo dial caliper and a magnetic base dial gizmo that measures run out.....as you can probalby tell i haven't used it yet, heck i don't even know what its called.....

i don't know that the rotor is warped more like a see a high spot and a different wear pattern ...you know what the sanding marks look like from using 80 grit paper on an oscillating sander they look like....."little c's" thats what i see over a 3/16" x 3" pattern....almost looks like the metal is of a different structure there....

Gene your too much....800 rpm stall speed...that thing must be a rocket...i can live with a little softer ride especially as i'm driving the Mrs around with coffee in tow....
Rocket?? with barely 400 hp?? I think NOT...but then again I have lost about 200 lbs of car weight too....
Coffee,?? I"m more concerned with having my head firmly planted on the seat back when shift time comes, screw the coffee.....

GENE
Old 04-05-2005, 03:02 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
have not done that yet... i have abandoned A/C coils in front of the radiator and wonder if i could use those? i need to find what kind of pressue the system is running under and then pressure test those coils...i also need to make sure there is no adverse chemical reaction from the dissimilar fluids.

and i am also contemplating cutting vent holes in the inspection cover of the bell housing...any thoughts...
Years ago a good bet for an ATF cooler was an old a/c condensor from a RAC OR an a/c car.....so that cond on your car will cool hell out of the fluid, perfect idea.....I wouldn't worry about chemicals, just blow it out with your air hose....

GENE
Old 04-05-2005, 03:12 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrossedFlags77
You mentioned that your idle was high when in park. Mine does the exact same thing, when I am in drive its around 800 rpm but in park it shoots up to the 1200 rpm range. Was the problem the torque converter or what causes this?
My '79 had this problem until I changed the tranny. Darn thing was hard to hold still at a stoplight!
Old 04-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You mentioned that your idle was high when in park. Mine does the exact same thing, when I am in drive its around 800 rpm but in park it shoots up to the 1200 rpm range. Was the problem the torque converter or what causes this?
Often times I find AT cars with mild cams come to me this way. It's usually because a lower base idle makes for a REAL lumpy idle in gear, and makes A/C almost unusable. Higher stall converters help, idle solenoids help, but it's kind of a fact of life with an automatic.

I ran a full manual THM 400 (3200 stall) on the street behind a RA IV Pontiac and it definitely softened the shifts, but it was harder on the clutches. The trade-off was a car ('64 GTO) that had a great launch (on 7" slicks), carried the RF wheel and gave me 12.80's all day thru iron manifolds, mufflers with 3.70 gears, yet it was still streetable.

The '86 drag Cutlass I'm doing now will run a THM 350 manual shift behind an old Corvette 327 and I'll probably run 2800 - 3200 stall converter in that one. Glad your happy with it, Bob.

Hans
Old 04-05-2005, 04:31 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i'm no expert here on this so.....take it as you may

i was told that my torque converter was "too tight" and that higher stall speed would help reduce that difference in Rpm idle...and it did...no other changes other then less money in the wallet..... put your foot on the brakes and accelerate slowly....watch the tach....when the car wants to jump out of itself is the approximate stall speed.....my old one was at 1400 rpm...what is yours at now?....
Old 04-05-2005, 04:32 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
Years ago a good bet for an ATF cooler was an old a/c condensor from a RAC OR an a/c car.....so that cond on your car will cool hell out of the fluid, perfect idea.....I wouldn't worry about chemicals, just blow it out with your air hose....

GENE

Gene you have lots of experience with this sort of stuff...what pressure should i test it at?

Quick Reply: WOW 2500 stall speed torque converter