C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation of carpet heat shield...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 10:44 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteguy75
Found out the scoop from a hot rod restoration shop....you place the foil side to the heat for firewalls and floorboards (down) and everywhere else (trunk, doors, rear sections, etc), you place the foil side up.....
This is what I did also....even the kits say foil down...but when you look at the labels on the rear compartment and doors it doesn't say foil down...only on the seat, feet, etc areas.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:03 AM
GuinessGary
Instructor

arial

I'm now to this forum but have been reading it for awhile but this topic is what I have been doing in restoring the interior of our 75. I've been reading all the posts and I think which ever side of heat shield goes down first dependes what you are using. I have used Frost King and there is one side that has foam with adhesvie and the other side foil. You can only apply the foam side down since that is the only ahesvise side. There is no other choice. I did use fatmat first, which is a great product, it sticks down wherever you apply it. I just started to apply the frost king and the foil side comes off the foam adhesive easily and is taking more time then I thought.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Jimydc
Intermediate

I would ask the product manufacturer.

Jim
Old 05-21-2005, 02:34 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Here's my .02

Most of the foil back insulation has other intentions besides an automobile.

In a home if you used it the most likely application would be the foil side to the inside of the room so it could be used for a vapor barrier as mentioned earlier. The sticky side may have been applied for this application and would be correct.

We want to keep the radiant heat out by reflecting it first and what does get through is attempted to be contained by the dead air space created by the insulation on top. If the insulation were down it would be saturated by heat much easier and the reflective side would be useless.

Put'R down.....jim
Old 05-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Bearcamp
Heel & Toe

Foil side down.....................The foil side goes where the most heat comes from and that's down. You want the heat as far away from the interior as possible. Foil side down...................down, down, down.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:26 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

foil towards heat source....foil reflects the transfer of radiant heat while the closed cell foam insulates against convective and conductive heat transfer.I'm using "Keep Kool" by Prorod which has 350 degree melting point and also works as a noise barrier...1/4" thick,$35 bucks for a 10'x 5' roll.It is used for firewall insulation,floor boards,door panels,under headliner(Sahara)...hee hee

This thread reminds me of the Corps:"Green side out,brown side out,all run in circles,and scream and shout".
Semper fi,dudes...
Old 05-21-2005, 11:39 PM
singedfur
Instructor

rihwoods,
Where'd you get Keep Kool for that price? I just did a search and found 5'x10' for $95.

When you guys use these aftermarke insulations (Dynomat, Keep Kool, Fat Mat, etc.) are you deleting the stock jute carpet underlayment, or is there room for both?
Old 05-22-2005, 12:14 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by singedfur
rihwoods,
Where'd you get Keep Kool for that price? I just did a search and found 5'x10' for $95.

When you guys use these aftermarke insulations (Dynomat, Keep Kool, Fat Mat, etc.) are you deleting the stock jute carpet underlayment, or is there room for both?
Prorod
26635 Crescendo Drive
Escondido,Calif 92026
(760)- 746-5518
This guy goes to our local auto swap meets and operates out of his home at the address above.He will ship UPS,but I bought mine at the San Diego swap meet.You can call him after 5 PM (PST) Mon-Fri or Sat/Sun during the day.Because it is 1/4" thick,I'm using it under the front(cabin) carpet.I have no plan to use it under the hood,as my original GM stuff is holding up.If you want,I'll call him tomorrow to verify price has not gone up,but I doubt it,as I just bought this last Feburary 26th.(Just looked at my canceled check:$35 for 10'x 5'.)
I don't know about others,but I'm deleting my original insulation and installing this.It does not have adhesive.
Note this stuff conforms to FED. Motor Vehicle Safety Standard SS302.

Last edited by rihwoods; 05-22-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:53 PM
singedfur
Instructor

Rihwoods, thanks for the info. I'll check into it some more. Thanks for the offer to call and check price; don't sweat it, though, as I'm not sure yet which insulation I'm going with.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:02 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by singedfur
Rihwoods, thanks for the info. I'll check into it some more. Thanks for the offer to call and check price; don't sweat it, though, as I'm not sure yet which insulation I'm going with.
Your welcome.Research the dickens outa this...prices all over the place and be sure to get spec's.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:53 PM
73conv
Intermediate

Foil side down.

Quick Reply: Installation of carpet heat shield...?