C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to check/fill steering box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Shrike
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to check/fill steering box?

After reading steves_77vette's post, I now know what to put in the steering box, but not how to check it or fill it.
Can I remove the cover? Should I clean out the old stuff?
I've never fooled with the steering box, but that previous post made me curious.

Thanks,
Scott

oh, manual steering btw
Old 04-13-2005, 05:02 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Nice looking vette! The book tells you to remove 2 of the 3 cover bolts. Add grease to one while watching for it to come out the other. I'm not a big fan of this approach but you can try it if you like. Keep in mind the worm nut and pitman shaft are right there so chances of really getting grease down in under the gears is not good and you don;t know how much it will take before it's overfull.
If you need grease then you might as well do it right and grease it and check it. The best way is to remove the box and do it on the work bench. Keep in mind to remove the cover requires movign the lash screw-that's the adjustable one in the center of the box. Once you move the position of the screw you're going to change the lash adjustment. Most times guys just have me go through them at that point. Does the steerng feel ok no slop or noise from it while moving? If it's not bothering you at this time then leave it alone.If you need help let me know and I can walk you through things.

Gary
Old 04-13-2005, 05:08 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC, when I last did this, I had the front of the car jacked up and I filled the hole until the grease started coming out of the second hole. I then ran the steering full left and right several times and then topped off the reservoir.
Gary
Old 04-13-2005, 10:19 PM
StickShiftCorvette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It works better if you take a spare bolt, drill it through, tap it for a grease zerk, and then pump the box full of grease until it exits out another open bolt hole. I think it is cast in as to where you should fill and where you should check.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:07 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

This reminds me of Murphy's Law. If we really wanted the gear box 100% full, there would always be pockets of air in the gear housing. Now we don't want it 100% full but don't know how to insure that there is air inside.

The recommended method is to remove two side cover bolts and add grease through one of the openings. When you see grease in the second open bolt hole stop filling. I would stop filling when you can see grease in the second hole, not when it is gushing out.

You might take a screwdriver or some sort of probe and stick it down inside the gear and try and mix the old and new grease around. At the same time, the screwdriver will displace some grease. If some comes out the other bolt hole, all the better. This will insure that there is some air space inside.

JIM
Old 04-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Shrike
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies!
When I read the other post on what to use, I thought I might as well check mine.
Upon inspection I noticed:
a). the steering feels pretty tight
b). the box looks pretty clean
c). the lash screw seems to have a bit of adjustment left in it
d). and although it's not in the pic, the rag joint looks to have been replaced in the not to distant past

based on these observations, I am going to follow Gary's advice and leave well enough alone.

Thanks again for all the replies.
Scott
Old 04-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Is this suppost to be for all C3's or just certain years?
Old 04-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

All GM recirculating ball manual steering gears.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks Jim Shea

Get notified of new replies

To How to check/fill steering box?

Quick Reply: How to check/fill steering box?