C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700R4 Governor spring change-Tips please

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:30 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I know this thread is a few days old but I found it strange that know one mentioned the TV cable needs to be adjusted perfectectly or you will have strange shifting patterns. Also if its off to far you will burn the trans!!! With that said IMHO I would tighten the cable and see if it shifts any higher in the rpm range. I would rather have it too tight than too loose
Old 02-24-2011, 01:59 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I just bought the RPM's I needed. a 5000 and a 6500 they are only about $75 each
Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by hugie82
I know this thread is a few days old but I found it strange that know one mentioned the TV cable needs to be adjusted perfectly or you will have strange shifting patterns. Also if its off to far you will burn the trans!!! With that said IMHO I would tighten the cable and see if it shifts any higher in the rpm range. I would rather have it too tight than too loose

You are absolutely right. Every time you make an adjustment to the governor you must adjust the TV cable again. If it is adjusted too tight your shifts will be delayed and if it's adjusted too loose your shifts happen too early. But it must NEVER be left unhooked as your transmission will burn up in short order. As you said it's better to have it adjusted too tight than too loose.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

I adjusted my governor with weights and springs from B&M. I love the higher shift points. The only drawback is that I don't have engine braking with the selector in D. The engine freewheels and idles when I get off of the gas. No worries, for around town, non freeway driving, I leave the selector in 3. I get the later shifting and engine braking.
Bee Jay

Quick Reply: 700R4 Governor spring change-Tips please