C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad noise coming from rear of car

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 12:56 PM
VBP
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07,'13

Here is a common problem we get at work allot - It’s the small "front differential mounting bushing". This small bushing tends to disintegrate with time. If it is worn out, there will be a noticeable pop / clunk each time you step on the gas and sometimes on the brake also. It is the whole front of the differential housing wiggling around from the torque you are sending to it at the front mounting point. My own car made the same noise you are describing straight as well as when turning. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Alan G.
Vette Brakes & Products, Inc.

ps - See VBP # 31040 - poly dif. mt. bsg. Kit or 31038 - rubber kit.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:09 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 757 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by VBP
Here is a common problem we get at work allot - Its the small "front differential mounting bushing". This small bushing tends to disintegrate with time. If it is worn out, there will be a noticeable pop / clunk each time you step on the gas and sometimes on the brake also. It is the whole front of the differential housing wiggling around from the torque you are sending to it at the front mounting point. My own car made the same noise you are describing straight as well as when turning. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Alan G.
Vette Brakes & Products, Inc.

ps - See VBP # 31040 - poly dif. mt. bsg. Kit or 31038 - rubber kit.
I was thinking the same thing. Mine had this problem. If you yoke came completely out by hand I'd do what you are planning, removing the diff and looking inside. If the clip came off it may have damaged the clutch pack. I don't have the tools or experience with posis so I had Van Steel rebuild mine. They are great to work with. Mine looked ok but it was one of those "while you're in there" things. With my luck, if I'd not had it rebuilt when I had the rear suspension out it would have failed soon after I got it all back together................................ .............like my 4-speed is starting to do.

Last edited by theandies; 05-20-2005 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: bad noise coming from rear of car