C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post Your Dyno Numbers With A XE274

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Cory1970
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MY porter seems pretty confident that these heads are going to make good power. He stressed the importance of velocity, valves, valve angles ect..... He even said that iron heads will make more power.... any opinions on this.... He also said that the vortecs have a problem cracking and not to use them.
Originally Posted by munday
Of course new tech heads will be better, but iron heads can be made to flow quite well. Valve size can make a difference and I might be concerned with that. If iron heads sucked, no one would sell them and only alums would be on the market.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:15 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I put alot of money into 186 casting double humps. the works - Lots of port and polish work with larger stronger valve seats to make the largest ports possible, screw in studs and guide plates, Manley proflow valves 2.055/1.60, nice springs and chromemoly 10 degree locks. They ran pretty good 12.70's with 355 ci and cam somewhat simular the the XE274 10.7 compression with Flat top pistons and surface milled to true 64 cc and .015 steel shim head gaskets. 3.55 rear gears and modified TH350. I think back then I used slicks of about 9X28 on 8X15 rims.

I thought that I never had a problem with those heads for years. I really ran them hard and high heat. I had them sitting in a box for a couple of years. Then somebody ask me about selling them. So I took them down to the local race head shop that originally did them up to have them refreshed. The first thing they did was magnaflux them. Without magnaflux you would have never been able to see the tiny cracks radiating out from the seats and between the valves. I just walked away and left them there.

Quick Reply: Post Your Dyno Numbers With A XE274