C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the flow pattern of water in a sbc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07
Default what way does the water flow?

I was wonderingif i should connect a house from the water pump to the intake and if i should then what one do i use.also the green things are hoses and this is right for getting cool water to the other side of the heads correct?sorry for the such detailed pictures.the red is the threaded hole wear hose can go in.

Last edited by yellow73sb; 06-26-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:28 AM
GasketDude
Racer

It's late but I'll try and help with this one.

Flow comes from the pump (frt) through block to the rear and up through the rear of the heads and back to the front and out the T-Stat. The head gasket has different size holes (from front to rear) to help coolant flow to reduce hotspots. The performance line enhances this cooling feature. Though they're not for every standard rebuild because stock heads usually can't handle the wire ring at the C.O. used for extra burn through resistance.

There are some books out that talk about enhanced cooling (system) tricks for racing applications.

Hope this helps,
Later.

Last edited by GasketDude; 06-27-2005 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default water lines

On a Chevy engine the front of the head runs hotter than the rear of the head because the water entering the heads at the back cylinders have to travel through the head before exiting at the front and into the water crossover on the intake. As the water travels from the back of the head to the front it keeps getting hotter. The external water lines are used to equalize the water temperature across the head. They will not make the motor run cooller, just more even temperature. You will not see any performance gains with them unless you are running long periods at high RPM, (oval track or road racing) where the temperature variation will not allow you to keep the engine tuned at full potential.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Pete79L82
On a Chevy engine the front of the head runs hotter than the rear of the head because the water entering the heads at the back cylinders have to travel through the head before exiting at the front and into the water crossover on the intake. As the water travels from the back of the head to the front it keeps getting hotter. The external water lines are used to equalize the water temperature across the head. They will not make the motor run cooller, just more even temperature. You will not see any performance gains with them unless you are running long periods at high RPM, (oval track or road racing) where the temperature variation will not allow you to keep the engine tuned at full potential.

i road race so this is what i do. i didnt thik i should run line from the water pump to the intake but i didnt thik it whould hurt
Old 06-28-2005, 01:26 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

check out the animation on this page:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system2.htm

Get notified of new replies

To What is the flow pattern of water in a sbc?

Quick Reply: What is the flow pattern of water in a sbc?