C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

light switch removal on 1969

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 07:43 AM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default light switch removal on 1969

Before I break it, how do you get the light switch off the instrument cluster? Does the black **** just pull off or does it screw off or is there a screw under the chrome cap on the ****?

Help
Old 08-31-2005, 07:51 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I believe the only way to get to it is by taking the dash panel off the car and getting it out from the backside
Old 08-31-2005, 10:33 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

You will need to reach the backside of the switch to depress a small spring-loaded button while simultaneously pulling the black headlight **** out of the switch. (This will turn your headlights on by the way until you unplug the connector from the back of the switch.) Once the black **** is removed you can unscrew the nut that holds the switch to the dash. This uses a special socket or you can just use a very large screwdriver to straddle the hole and unscrew the nut.

The best way to get to the backside of the light switch is to separate the cluster from the dash or remove the dash pad. Neither of which are real easy. Best option is to get a good service manual and follow the directions.

One hint… go slow and be careful. These panels are fragile and crack or break easily if too much force is used.

Good luck… GUSTO
Old 08-31-2005, 11:01 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The **** is made to the shaft and is removed as a unit. There is a release button on the top of the switch assembly. You need to loosen the drivers side dash pad to reach the top of the switch and press the button while pulling the **** and shaft out. Then there is a slotted screw/nut that you loosen with a straight blade screwdriver to remove the switch, it holds the barrel of the switch through the dash pad.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:41 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jyoconnell
Before I break it, how do you get the light switch off the instrument cluster? Does the black **** just pull off or does it screw off or is there a screw under the chrome cap on the ****?

Help

Calm down. After working on these cars for many years, I found out long ago that using the breaking method, as you suggest, does not work out in the long run. It ends in costing you more money. What I do, is shut the garage door AND CURSE LIKE HE**
Old 08-31-2005, 12:26 PM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To light switch removal on 1969

Quick Reply: light switch removal on 1969