C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

telescopic column wont move

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 06:48 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Default telescopic column wont move

My 69 I think has a telescopic column. The large housing cover below the turn signal arm turns about half way in either direction but I cant get the column to lower or lift.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

There were only two production steering columns for the 1969 Vette. The standard (non-adjustable) column and the tilt & telescoping column.

If you have a T&T column there should be a second lever on the same side of the column below your turn signal lever. When you pull this lever toward you, the column head should be able to tilt up and down. If there is just an elongated slot in the column head on the same side and below the turn signal lever, possibly the tilt lever is just missing. A new one that just screws in place can be purchased from any number of Corvette suppliers.

The T&T column should have a round wheel like lever just under your horn button. Rotating it clockwise should loosen the steering shaft and allow the steering wheel to be moved in and out about 2 or 3 inches. CCW rotation should lock the telescoping steering shaft in place.

Jim
Old 09-22-2005, 08:24 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

It does'nt look like I have a tilt, tele column then.
What does this sleve do then, I noticed it also moves a lever on the end of steering shaft, looks like it then goes under car.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:17 PM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lever you may be talking about could be the park safety switch that won't let you start the car if it's in gear.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:26 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That collar is part of the anti-theft system, requiring that you have ignition key in on position before taking trans. out of park or reverse.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is a link to everything you ever wanted to know about the General Motors steering column/transmission interlock systems.

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/StrgCo...tems27JL04.doc

BTW, your Corvette steering column should have a round plastic shroud that stays stationary and covers the bowl inside the column head that rotates when the lower lever on the column is moved.

Get notified of new replies

To telescopic column wont move

Quick Reply: telescopic column wont move