C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 brake problem cont.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 09:25 AM
TFitz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70 brake problem cont.

still trying to get some life in the system. I put on a new master cylinder, bled it properly I think. changed acaliper that was suspect leaking. I get the weakest pedal when I try to bleed the system. I do all this with the engine off. Now I apply slight pressure to the pedal, hold the pedal down with light pressure and start the engine. As soon as it fires up the pedal goe down to the floor and there is no pedal at all. it is as if the linkage was disconnected. Any ideas for the next step?
the car has power brakes
Old 09-28-2005, 09:29 AM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

Do a search on brake bleeding.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

how's the booster? Does it have vacuum?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:23 PM
TFitz
Instructor

Default booster

I have been suspicious of the booster from the start but don't know how to eliminate it from the process
the check valve seems to be working on the booster
Old 09-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

A faulty booster will make the pedal harder to press because it will not provide any assist. A leaky/faulty booster is not going to cause your pedal to go to the floor.

Buy or make 2 inverted flare plugs for the master cylinder line ports. You can buy 12" sections of brake line at an autoparts store with the correct fittings, cut one end off about 2 inches long, and hammer the tubing shut with the nut installed. These make good test plugs. remove the brake lines, and install both plugs... press the pedal. If it goes to the floor, with or without booster assist, then the M/C is faulty (or needs to be re-bled).

New and/or rebuilt master cylinders that have been sitting on the shelf in a store or warehouse for several years will have rust on the inside... they are faulty and will not work. I disassemble ALL new/rebuilt master cylinders before I install them.... saves a lot of time & grief. Many of them for the older muscle cars are already rusted on the inside.

If the pedal stays good, reconnect the lines and focus on the rest of the system.

If not, re-bench bleed the master using the correct method.... tubes running from each port back to the master cylinder while you pump the cylinder until the cylinder is bled.

Retry the plugs... if the pedal still goes to the floor, the M/C is bad.

Last edited by Tom454; 09-28-2005 at 01:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 70 brake problem cont.

Quick Reply: 70 brake problem cont.