C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top & Installer in SE MI

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 02:06 PM
69396Chevy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convertible Top & Installer in SE MI

Who here in SE MI knows of a good trim shop in the Sterling Heights(Macomb County) area for doing an install on a 68 vert? Also what kind of top should I buy. Only place I know is Shelby Auto Trim and they just informed me they want 1200 for the top and install and another 450 to restore the frame which is taking it off the car, bead blast and paint. Maybe I should take the frame off myself and restore it then have a shop put the top on it and I can put it back on the car. How hard is all this to do? What specifically should I be looking for in a top kit?

Thanks!
Chris
Old 10-03-2005, 08:10 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

Check with Pauls interiors in Pontiac. There are on Oakland Ave. Not sure what they charge but I know they do great work.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:41 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt that any reputable top installer will agree to installing the top with the top frame off of the car. The top frame needs to be in place on the car to get the material correctly taught.

I found a place in Southgate that quoted me $600 for the top and installation. I believe the name of the place was Michigan Window and Glass. I didn't find out that they did convertible tops until I went in to talk to them. I can't vouch for their work but they seemed very professional. I was looking for some window seal for my house and found they did auto glass and top replacements by accident. They were nice enough to give me the small piece of window seal that I needed for free. They are on Eureka Rd.

When I re-do my top I will do it myself. Will probably go with Al Knoch since I used his interior stuff and was quite pleased with it. I think he will rent you a do-it-yourself video as well. Lots of forum members have done this themselves.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I am working on doing mine right now. Lots of work but I enjoy working on mine and being able to say that I did it myself.

BTW, I am watching the Al Knoch video now and he and his helper did the job in 3.5 hours according to what Al just said at the end of the video. Of course they did not remove the frame or do any repairs. They did replace the front tack strip, very easy.

The rest of the tack strip on the car is a beotch to replace. Just keep plugging and you can do it.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:18 PM
yellow71
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you don't mind me saying that is the highest price I have ever heard for a convertible top install and kit.

The frame is quite easy to remove. Strip off the old top material. Reuse the tack strip if it does not look too bad. Like Eddie says putting in new tack strip is a PITA. I took mine out to make sure I got to the rust underneath. Spend a couple of days on it with a wire wheel. Paint with your choice of rust converter or primer and paint.
Do NOT overtighten the bolts when you reinstall the frame - you can strip the threads on the nut. Don't ask me how I know this.

If you decide to do the top yourself you must purchase the install video from Al Knoch. Mine came out great and I am sure Eddie's will too. If you don't want to do it yourself you should definitely shop around a little on price. Ask some buddies at the local corvette club for a recommendation and take a look at their tops to see if you like it. Make sure you choose someone that has done more than a few. You don't want him learning on your car.

Good Luck
Neil

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Top & Installer in SE MI

Quick Reply: Convertible Top & Installer in SE MI