C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mandrel Bends?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 12:11 AM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, read back there a bit, I *KNOW* I was first, I just didn't ask quite directly like you moochers I think I'm back to the aluminized pipe again, stainless seems to cost more than I remember the first time I priced this out a year or two back. Of course this time I'm actually able to do the work, but I'm on a tighter budget than I was back then since my wife is going to school these days . . .

stickboy - Yeah, I've never done any stainless welding, but I have read quite a lot about GMAW and it isn't supposed to be that big a deal. You can even use normal mild steel if you don't care about losing the stainless properties at the weld joint (which I would if I went that route). Also, you don't have to use trimix, but again, you will lose the stainless properties using some of the other gas combinations. There are lots of possibilities, I just wish I had that source for free pipe Heck, even if I'd even piece it together out of one foot chunks if I could get it for free I suspect Norval's pipe isn't stainless though. Kind of looks like it was sprayed that color to me, but it's hard to tell.

-dath
Old 10-11-2005, 12:21 AM
comp
Team Owner

Old 10-11-2005, 04:08 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Norval's pipes are 304 stainless
Old 10-11-2005, 09:34 AM
comp
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
Norval's pipes are 304 stainless
sweet
Old 10-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the info Twin_Turbo.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:40 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dath
Norval's pipe isn't stainless though. Kind of looks like it was sprayed that color to me, but it's hard to tell.

-dath
Mine is stainless. It is 304 3 inch diameter and we get it locally for $2 per foot. The catalytic converter is also stainless.
For elbows I get free 3 inch 409 stainless truck tail pipes and cut what I want out of them.

I tig everything together but mig works fine using normal wire.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:44 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Originally Posted by dath
So Norval, those bends you can get in 3" stainless? Want to sell a couple?

-dath
A friend gave me 5 409 3 inch tail pipes off some truck. He sets up the benders for Walker and those were test pieces. Each pipe had a 90 and a couple of 45's
409 is crappy stainless but it was aluminized also. I just weld the joints and paint it. The pipes you see in the picture are at least 10 years old. Well parts of them anyway. I did change part of the exhaust 3 or 4 years ago. I originally had a cross piece.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

The reason I asked norvalwilhelm is because I also have a 75 but my budget won't allow for a $800. plus S/S exhaust. I plan on keeping the car forever and just started learning how to tig stainless. I saw your set up and with a bit more confidence I just may tackle it over the winter. Maybe one day I'll drop by and take a better look at yours.

Thanks Norval

Frank
Old 10-11-2005, 11:31 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
The reason I asked norvalwilhelm is because I also have a 75 but my budget won't allow for a $800. plus S/S exhaust. I plan on keeping the car forever and just started learning how to tig stainless. I saw your set up and with a bit more confidence I just may tackle it over the winter. Maybe one day I'll drop by and take a better look at yours.

Thanks Norval

Frank
Frank you live close enough. I attend cruise nights in Paris saturdays in the summer. You are welcome to visit the shop anytime.
If you are comming down some time and want me to pick up lengths of stainless pipe let me know and I can have it ready. There is an outlet for stainless near here and the prices are really good.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

2$ a foot?? Wow, that is very cheap indeed. So you have a 304 exhaust w/ 409 bends? I'm not too fond of 409..it's not stainless at all, it rusts and forms an oxide layer then it stops rusting. Scratch off the oxide layer and it will rust again. the stock 81 & 82 shorty manifolds are made out of that stuff.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:33 PM
comp
Team Owner

2$ a foot where is my tape measure
Old 10-11-2005, 02:41 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
2$ a foot?? Wow, that is very cheap indeed. So you have a 304 exhaust w/ 409 bends? I'm not too fond of 409..it's not stainless at all, it rusts and forms an oxide layer then it stops rusting. Scratch off the oxide layer and it will rust again. the stock 81 & 82 shorty manifolds are made out of that stuff.
We have a 3 inch mandrel bender in the lab. It is a state of the art piece of equipment and can handle really thick 3 inch tubing but when it comes to my 304 stainless it stalls out at 65 degrees.
409 stainless is used in new cars before the catalytic converter. While it doesn't have the good looks it survives fine.
The new pickup truck tail pipes are 409 stainless with alumina coating for looks. Since my car doesn't see bad weather conditions it seems to stay shiny without a problem.
This outlet for Fisher stainless builds all sorts of things with stainless tubing, washline posts, picnic table, fencing. I built the mustang roll cage with the stuff.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

norvalwilhelm, this is just a thought, but when looking at your exhaust, if you have the capabilities of bending 304, couldn't you just have bent the tubing for your complete exhaust rather than welding mandrel bends? Or is that what you did?

Frank
Old 10-11-2005, 03:59 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Does Fisher also have oval pipes? I need some 2 1/2 x 4 3/4 and it's not exactly available here...
Old 10-11-2005, 06:43 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Hmm, maybe I should check a steel yard for stainless tubing instead of looking at the parts houses. $2/foot isn't too bad, though those bends would still kill me unless I can find someone who's willing to make a couple of bends for me that I can cut up and weld in.

Norval, you built a roll cage out of stainless? How does the strength compare to DOM?

-dath
Old 10-17-2005, 09:05 AM
alnoe
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Guys

We sell a product called a grab bag of bends-it is 10 miscellaneous bends with various leg lengths and bend angles-they are all completely mixxed from 30 degree bends to 150 degree bends-in 3" a box of 10 pieces costs $150 or $15 each. You can order them through us at 800-878-3635 or on our website at www.stainlessworks.net. We also sell straight tubing, clamps, flanges, etc. All materials are 304L s/s, and are mandrel bent.

Thanks
Al

Quick Reply: Mandrel Bends?