C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 07:57 AM
drswitala
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Loose Mirror

How do I tighten the drivers side mirror housing on a 1980? Do I need to take of the entire mirror?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:09 AM
ManFromEagle
Instructor

I assume you are talking about the sport mirrors.

Where is is loose. Between the body and mount or between the mount and the car.

You have to take the mirror off the door to get to the screws that hold the body to the mount. The mount to the door is tightened inside the door.

If you mean the mirror mounting in the body someone else will have to reply. I don't know
Old 11-20-2005, 07:52 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I may have exactly the same problem. The round part (the body I assume as it's being called here) is loose from the pedestal. Does anyone know how to get to the nuts that attach the mirror to the door? I coudn't see how to get to them with the window up or down. Yes, mine are hte sport mirrors also.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:01 AM
ManFromEagle
Instructor

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
I may have exactly the same problem. The round part (the body I assume as it's being called here) is loose from the pedestal. Does anyone know how to get to the nuts that attach the mirror to the door? I coudn't see how to get to them with the window up or down. Yes, mine are hte sport mirrors also.
To tighter the body to the post you need to remove the whole assembly from the car. If I remember correctly I had to remove the window to get to the screws inside the door. One suggestion I would make is when you are done and putting the mirror back on the door that you put a washer under the mounting screw head. Mine did not have one and it's easy to damage the fiberglass door panel by tightening up the screws too tight. It seems strange that it would not have been designed that way. Maybe it was and I was bubba'ed by the previous owner.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:53 AM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

ManFromEagle is right. I had to do the same thing on both sides. A shop manual helps with window removal.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:35 PM
wb6mfw
Instructor

Many years ago my drivers side sport mirror was loose. I only removed the door panel and by reaching up I could feel the item that needed to be tightened. I say item because I don't remember if it was a bolt or a nut. I think it was 7/16" and with a lot of patience and using every "small" wrench in my toolbox I was able to get it tight. It was no 5 minute job but I was afraid if I didn't get it tightened that it would damage the mirror and cost further $$$. It does help considerable if you have small hands and creative with the tools. In a couple of hours I had it done and back together. It has not come loose yet so I must have done it right. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE WINDOW.

Get notified of new replies

To Loose Mirror

Quick Reply: Loose Mirror