C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rally wheel paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 03:18 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rally wheel paint

Who sells the best matching paint for the rally wheels? How many cans will I need to do all 4? I'm just mounted my new Firehawks, so I will only be masking off the tire and doing the front a back surfaces. I probably should have had them sand blasted before painting, but I didn't want the down time.

Tom
Old 08-03-2001, 03:27 PM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Rally wheel paint (tsw71)

Wow, I was just getting ready to post a similar question. Tom- I got the Rally Wheel paint from Ecklers and have used it for touch up and it looks like a perfect match (of course, I doubt that the paint on the wheels was original).

My question: I know the silver should be shot over black and cover the outside of the wheel only - should the black be gloss, semi-gloss, or what? (I'm not an NCRS-type, but as long as I'm doing it, might as well do it right)
Old 08-03-2001, 03:43 PM
1LE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the black on the back of the wheels were gloss.
Old 08-03-2001, 03:49 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Rally wheel paint (1LE)

Maybe. But I have a rim and original tire in the spare carrier that have never been on the ground, the little rubber "pieces" from the mold are still on the tread and the serial # is on the original paper work. Anyway, the back of that rim is a flat, or semi-gloss black.
Old 08-03-2001, 03:58 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Rally wheel paint (Tex71BB)

Tex, you and tsw are fortunate...the "correct" color argent silver paint for 71 wheels is bright silver. The wheels on 70s had a greenish tint, and I have been told that you can't find that color anymore. Quanta Products is my source for wheel paint.

The wheels were first dip painted black, and as you said, were sprayed silver on the outside face only. Some overspray (very little) came through the wheel slots. Replacement wheels over the parts counter came painted black, not silver.

Almost everything painted black on Corvette chassis was originally dip painted with GM part number 1050104, which is still available if you want to buy a 4 gallon carton. I would recommend finding a good semi-gloss black spray paint, prep them good, and have at it. Original wheels I have seen are almost flat black after a little road grime gets to them.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:18 PM
JimD
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did mine on my 71 and they turned out great. I used 3 cans of Rally Wheel Paint from Zip and that included painting the spare. The back of the wheels are supposed to be semi-flat black.

Get notified of new replies

To Rally wheel paint

Quick Reply: Rally wheel paint