C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft top problems-shrinkage

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 12:06 AM
LT1man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top problems-shrinkage

71 conv soft top has not been used in 18-20 years. It has shrunk to the point that it will not latch. I would hate to replace since its a dated original. Any ideas? Earlier today someone told me to condition the top but they didn't indicate what to use.
Old 08-04-2001, 07:10 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Soft top problems-shrinkage (LT1man)

I bought my '72 with a good top from some previous owner, and it was difficult to latch, inside on both sides just outboard of the plastic window, were web cloth straps tied into the back bow and the lower base bow which meets the rear deck....anyway, they were very tight, and made latching the rear bow down a bit of a bitch...so I cut both of those useless straps out of there, and for 4 years now in daily use, have seen NO ill effects of this modification...like so much in any design mods do help....
to get the plastic to relax afterwards, heat it with a hair dryer on a hot summer sunny day, forcing the bow to latch, then clamp the front bow down, pulling everything tight, and heat the rear vinyl.....
DONT use a paint peeling heat gun unless you'r damn careful as it will melt the plastic....

GENE
Old 08-04-2001, 09:19 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Soft top problems-shrinkage (LT1man)

When you buy a new top they recommend sitting it out in the hot sun before installing , this is to make it more flexible. Maybe you can try the same approach with your top. Let it sit in the blazing sun, keep working it up and down :smash: It might start stretching to fit the latches.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:12 AM
Bob Jenkins
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Soft top problems-shrinkage (68rdstr)

Can you adjust the latch to header bolts on the front three latches so they put less stress on the top? I also agree with placing in the warm sum to loosen the top before trying to latch.......

Get notified of new replies

To Soft top problems-shrinkage

Quick Reply: Soft top problems-shrinkage