C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Output Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 01:36 AM

Default High Output Alternator

I want to install a 140 amp alternator on my '82. Has anyone done this? I don't think I'll have a problem with the computer since the regulator is controlling the voltage. :confused:
Old 08-06-2001, 08:35 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: High Output Alternator (Rayguncol82)

Beware of installing an alt with this rating without upgrading wiring to deal with higher amperage. You can melt smaller wires.
Old 08-06-2001, 09:31 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a Powermaster 200 amp in my 82. It's no problem, but like was mentioned already, you'll need to replace the postive cable that runs from the alternator output to the battery. If the alternator ever sees a big enough load, and does ouput that many amps, you'll surely melt the fusible link.

Why do you think you need so much alternator? Electric fans, stereo, etc?
Old 08-06-2001, 11:02 PM

Default Re: High Output Alternator (Monty)

I have a 500 Watt Stereo amp. I can't run it without stalling the car when running the A/C (100 Degree days). I noticed prior to installing the stereo, when I had the A/C going and the lights on, in one of our 100 Degree days here in south Texas, that everything seems dim and under powered. When I come to a stop it seems as if the car wants to stall. I put in a new Sears Security battery last month so I know it's not the battery. It also did it with the battery I had previously. The stock alternator is putting out the proper voltage though.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:39 PM
DR'76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: High Output Alternator (Monty)

Hey Monty (or anyone else who has purchased a PowerMaster),

Did your alt. come w/ a "dyno sheet"? Does it put out nearly as much as advertised? I recently bought their 100 amp version, which only puts out 75 max! Sure, 75 is better than the stock 42, but 75 does not equal 100!

'Dem Bastards! :smash:
Old 08-07-2001, 07:44 AM
Todd Mabry
Instructor

I was having the same problem with my amps dropping at idle. Lights dim, etc. I replaced the alternator with a 100 amp Powermaster, (70/idle,100/cruise) and have not had a problem since. I think the 140 would be fine for you...not sure about the 200amp though! :mad
Old 08-07-2001, 09:59 PM
spikezz4
Pro

It'll work, but read the threads. Make sure your wiring is up to it and all the grounds are clean and tight. I'm using a GM 165 amp alternator, but then again, we have build most of the wiring harnesses from scratch using the appropriate guage wire. A couple of them are big enough to look like cable. We also used two separate fuse panels and did the homework on circuit size and capacity.

Guess I got too deep into the subject. If you need one, The Corvette Clinic in Sanford, Florida sells these units new, in the box, complete with the fuseable link wire. Let me know if you need their phone number.

Spike
Old 08-08-2001, 12:31 AM

Default Re: High Output Alternator (DR'76)

Wow, that's strange. My stock alternator is supposed to be 70 amps (1982 model). I wonder if the stock alt. puts out what it's claimed? If it's putting out low amperage maybe going to a Powermaster 100 is better than going to a 140 to eliminate the increased wire sizes. All great responses.
Old 08-10-2001, 05:06 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Stock wire sizes are fine, it has to do with the load presented not the capabilities of the alternator....
the increased alternator output is useful if your new accessories are wired direct off the alternator with new wire and fuse...I even grounded my electric fan to the alt. directly....
computers are no problem at all, don't let anyone kid you on that...as long as the alternator is putting out correct voltages that is....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To High Output Alternator

Quick Reply: High Output Alternator