C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New calipers, rotors, pads on front yet brakes squeal - why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 10:02 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default New calipers, rotors, pads on front yet brakes squeal - why?

Installed new (rebuilt) calipers, rotors and Performance Frictions pads with the shims and at first no squeal. Drove the vette the other day and the front brakes are making noise. I followed instructions for breaking in new rotors and pads and at that time there was no noise. Any thoughts as to why they started making noise?

Regards,

Jim
Old 08-08-2001, 10:15 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: New calipers, rotors, pads on front yet brakes squeal - why? (Jim73)

Hey Jim, long time man! Is it a typical brake squeal when applying the brakes, or do you get squeaks while driving without the brakes applied? I've heard that the retaining pin that holds the pads in the caliper can caused squeaking noises, so I usually put a dab of grease on it before I reinstall it through the caliper and pads. Otherwise it must be the typical problem of the pistons rubbing against the back of the pads. Try some orange goo anti-squal stuff to see if that helps.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:16 AM
Jeff73454
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: New calipers, rotors, pads on front yet brakes squeal - why? (Jim73)

I did the same as you did to my 73. The only fix is to use regular non metallic pads. My car stops just fine now and makes no noise. :cool:
Old 08-08-2001, 11:53 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Hi back at ya Shannon. I think I saw a post of yours a while back mentioning that you were thinking of selling your vette. Glad to see it was just temporary insanity. Are you going to be down this way anytime in the near future? I will try to lube the pad pin and see what happens. I think the anti-squeak goo voids the warranty on the pads. I would rather have a slight noise than give up the stopping power of these pads. Safety first! Thanks for the input guys.

Regards,

Jim
Old 08-08-2001, 01:36 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim, Yeah, I considered selling the '69 last fall. I found a nice '65 2-top convertible but couldn't get the owner to get serious about selling it to me. I've since jumped back in with both feet and got the '69 in pretty good shape. I may try to make it to Autofair in September. I'll let you know if I do.

Good luck on the squealing brakes.
Shannon
Old 08-08-2001, 03:11 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Good question...Have u tried organic pads?? I am using semi's and I got some squeal....I just switched to Bendix and Now it is considerably less...I know a lot of people swear by the organic pads...They are inexpensive as well...they do create a lot of dust though :cheers:

Go Dawgs.....Heard from Neal Ash lately or Tom Gant??

[Modified by Alwyn678, 2:17 PM 8/8/2001]
Old 08-08-2001, 10:34 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: New calipers, rotors, pads on front yet brakes squeal - why? (Alwyn678)

Go Dawgs back at ya. Did you and I email each other recently. I remember receiving an email, but it was under another name. It must be you because how else would you remember about the discussion about Neil and Tom. How ya doing? Actually, I hope to be getting my tickets to the GA vs. ARk game in Sept. Will be the first trip to Athens in awhile.

Gooooooo Dawgs sick'em woof..woof..woof

Jim
Old 08-08-2001, 10:48 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some but not all, metalic pads will cause squeal. Put metal against metal and what do you get?, SQUEEEEELLL. I am also a fan of organic pads. Organic pads dont last as long but they dont cut into your roters as bad as metalic.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:14 PM
72greg
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Re: New calipers, rotors, pads on front yet brakes squeal - why? (Jvette73)

Noises with brakes are caused by vibrations. If you get rid of the vibrations you will get rid of the noise. I had another vehicle (a '95 bonneville) that I had Perf Fric pads on and it squealed like a stuck pig. When I eventually got factory pads and new bendix rotors the noise ended. I tried the goop, I tried the shims, I tried cussing at it to no avail. I believe that the factory pads had some graphite in them, FWIW.

IMO, I went with organics on my vette when I rebuilt everything. I will say that the ONLY time I have noticed that I have fade issues is at the strip. After a few runs down the track I did notice that the stopping power was not what I was used to (to be honest, it sucked pretty bad on 1 occasion when I ran way past the last timing gate).

On the street, I can't say that I've ever had a fade issue. I've said it before, and I will say it again, I feel quite confident that the organic pads are good enough to about throw the average passenger through the windshield. On cool nights I can take my stock brake setup and get the 245/60 tires to scrub rather loudly in a very controlled manner. To me, for non-ABS, that's as good as I need on the street.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:25 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

End your misery and go with the organic brake pads from Muskegon Brake. A bargain at $20.00 for four wheels. Forget the shims and blue goop, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To New calipers, rotors, pads on front yet brakes squeal - why?

Quick Reply: New calipers, rotors, pads on front yet brakes squeal - why?