C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Woes-anyone running Pertronix LED with MSD 6A?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 12:45 AM
Doug Brandon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition Woes-anyone running Pertronix LED with MSD 6A?...

After switching out my intake manifold, I drove the car tonite. It started right up, but has a low speed miss that goes away around 1500 rpm, but comes back under any load. I checked the timing and it bounces around from 15 to 25.
I haven't found my wiring instructions for the MSD, so I just reattached everything from memory-not good...after looking for loose connections, I found a black wire that comes from the bottom of the distributor. It looks like it had been connected to something...There is a red/black wire coming out of the cap that is hooked correctly to the coil. Anyone know if there should be a third wire connecting from the distributer to the coil (and which post does it attach to)? Thanks.

[Modified by Doug Brandon, 10:47 PM 8/8/2001]
Old 08-09-2001, 01:03 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Ignition Woes-anyone running Pertronix LED with MSD 6A?... (Doug Brandon)

I'll be back home Saturday. I can refer to my instruction sheet then and post the directions then.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:27 PM
Doug Brandon
Instructor

Default Re: Ignition Woes-anyone running Pertronix LED with MSD 6A?... (Road Fever)

Thanks for the offer to check your instructions....I checked on the web and looked at the instructions from the MSD and Pertronix sites. Everything looks fine, but they do not show where the black wire at the base of the distributor connects. Does anyone know if this wire goes to the negative terminal or to ground????
Old 08-10-2001, 11:39 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ignition Woes-anyone running Pertronix LED with MSD 6A?... (Doug Brandon)

Hey ignition gurus, I have the original Pertronix 1. I haerd about the Pertonix 2. Is that one better than the original one? If so then why?
Old 08-10-2001, 11:56 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

The MSD installation schematic for the Pertronix shows the black on the distributor connecting to the white wire on the MSD. It shows the red on the distributor going to ignition and red on the MSD. The coil should be connected to the MSD orange to pos and black to neg. If you want I can scan the drawing and email it to you.

BTW, I know nothing about Pertonix. This is listed as Pertronix Ignitor?

Dave

[Modified by Rolling Thunder, 10:00 PM 8/10/2001]
Old 08-11-2001, 12:09 AM
Doug Brandon
Instructor

Default Re: Ignition Woes-anyone running Pertronix LED with MSD 6A?... (Rolling Thunder)

I have it wired as you described. It still has a bad misfire. There is a black wire that connects to the bottom of the distributor (just above where you loosen and tighten the hold down bolt). This wire is now hanging loose. I wonder if it is causing the misfire? Any ideas?
Old 08-11-2001, 12:18 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Any chance it should be connected to ground? I'll read through the troubleshooting section and see if anything seems to fit.

Sorry, nothing else. Come on Pertronx guru's, help Doug out.

[Modified by Rolling Thunder, 10:29 PM 8/10/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition Woes-anyone running Pertronix LED with MSD 6A?...

Quick Reply: Ignition Woes-anyone running Pertronix LED with MSD 6A?...