C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing arm shim kits- need two?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 12:50 AM
81Batman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailing arm shim kits- need two?

I tried ordering the SS trailing arm shim kit from Eckler's, It was backordered. Ordered the same kit from Mid America for the same price, It has 24 shims but will take two kits to have enough shims to do my car. From the factory I had 12 1/4 inch shims and the kit had only 1/8 inch and down. All the shims together won't do both sides.
I called both Eckler's and Mid America tonight and found that I have the kit from Eckler's in the mail and Mid America does not know what they are going to do yet. The kit is not as advertised. They also do not sell additional shims separately. I need the car together fast and know that with all the shims I had from the factory that the regular 16 peice kits are not going to be sufficient. Has anybody else ran into this problem?
Old 08-09-2001, 12:59 AM
L. Jackmin
Racer

Default Re: Trailing arm shim kits- need two? (81Batman)

I bought 2 kits just to be sure. I only needed one. I sent the other one back.

Good luck.

LMJ
Old 08-09-2001, 12:59 AM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Batman,

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt... :jester I got my shim kit from Vette Brakes, and in the end I had to buy extra 1/4" shims. Call The Last Detail, and they will hook you up.

-Pedro
Old 08-09-2001, 01:34 AM
81Batman
Instructor

Default Re: Trailing arm shim kits- need two? (Pedro'74)

Pedro'74- I need to wait and see what happens with MAD and Eckler's but it is nice to know that I am not the only person to have had this problem with the shim kits not having enough. I do feel a little better.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:20 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Twelve 1/4" shims? Holy sheet! 3 inches of shims? I just did my '81, and I don't think the entire stack of shims from both sides could have been more than 2 inches or so...

Regardless of that, I had one SS shim kit included with my exchanged T-arms from Van Steel. The kit included both bolts, both nuts, both cotter pins, and plenty of shims of all thicknesses.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:38 PM
GORDO77
Advanced

Try Bair's in PA. Thay sell parts and do first calls restoration. I have had very good luck with them.there #is 1-800-421-9644 web site is http://www.bairs.com
Old 08-09-2001, 01:02 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Batman,
have you tried your local "Chevy dealer" ? The local guy here has them in "stock" at $4.50 each (thick or thin). I have some extra 1/4" shims i would be willing to trade for some "much" thinner ones. If anyone is interested
PLEASE e-mail me direct ...redvetracr@aol.com
Old 08-10-2001, 12:28 AM
81Batman
Instructor

Default Re: Trailing arm shim kits- need two? (redvetracr)

redvetracr- will let you know if I need them. Need to see what I end up with after Sat. mail.

MAD said that some 1/4 inch shims are being sent overnight to me. They should be here on Fri. I am also waiting to see what Eckler's is sending to me that is supposed to be the same kit that they will not have in stock till Sept. I still have not figured out how they can ship a backordered part that they don't have in stock but they say that it is in the mail. :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing arm shim kits- need two?

Quick Reply: Trailing arm shim kits- need two?