C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got my headers on. Part of rear susp rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 01:27 AM
81Batman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I got my headers on. Part of rear susp rebuild

I don't know how but headers came part of my rear suspension rebuild. I had ordered the dynomax coated headers from Jeg's. I put them in while waiting for parts to come in. This was easy as it took only about two and one half hours to put them in including removing the old manifolds and making a spacer for the ac as one can not be bought for this application. The instructions said that one would have to be made.
They slid into place easily and give me plenty of clearance for everything. They also make it easier to get to everything. Plugs, Wires are very easy to do now. It seems that I have more room now and they actually take a little more room with the four tubes running down and back. They look sharp but are also rather inconspicuous compared to the original tubular manifold.
I will be having a new 2 1/2 inch aluminized pipe dual exhaust made with two chamber flowmasters.
Old 08-09-2001, 03:10 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I got my headers on. Part of rear susp rebuild (81Batman)

81Batman it sounds like you and I are at the same point. I haven't ordered my headers yet, but the car is sitting in the driveway waiting on me to fix the squeak in the left rear. I've been gathering parts for a month now with the intent on changing the heads, cam, intake and exhaust manifolds as an extended weekend project. Great plan right up until last week when this winters rear suspension rebuild decided not to wait. Oh well, it's still a Corvette even if I don't get to drive it.
Were you going to have a local shop make up your exhaust?
Old 08-09-2001, 08:06 AM
Dwaynes69BB
Burning Brakes

Location: I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for ya.

Default Re: I got my headers on. Part of rear susp rebuild (81Batman)

I would be very interested in what your exhaust sounds like as I am thinking of getting the 2 chamber flowmasters also.
Please keep us posted

Thanx.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:00 AM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: I got my headers on. Part of rear susp rebuild (Dwaynes69BB)

Do you have the specs or a picture of your spacer? I'm about to install mine.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:09 AM
81Batman
Instructor

Default Re: I got my headers on. Part of rear susp rebuild (e3pres)

e3pres- The spacer is nothing more than a peice of pipe that is cut to about 1 to 1 1/8 inches long. I used 1/2 inch pipe as I already had it here but 3/8 pipe would be better. I am using washers to space what very little I am short. I am also spot welding the washers to the pipe for better stability when bolting. Of course can't forget the high temp paint so that it blends with the headers.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:17 AM
81Batman
Instructor

Default Re: I got my headers on. Part of rear susp rebuild (Dwaynes69BB)

Dwaynes69BB- I already had the two chamber flowmasters on my old dual exhaust. They are heard but not overpowering at an idle. Running on the road the exhaust noise is very evident in the car. However not so bad since I added extra insulation under all the carpets. Even my wife does not mind them too much. Part of my noise was the way that bubba hung and bent the exhaust. Steel flat bar welded to the frame and exhaust pipe as well as touching some of the suspension mounting brackets. BUBBA at his best. :D

Get notified of new replies

To I got my headers on. Part of rear susp rebuild

Quick Reply: I got my headers on. Part of rear susp rebuild