C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I’m opening the door on poly versus rubber… this is an invite for all opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 03:38 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

There ya have it!
Old 02-14-2006, 04:41 PM
john1977
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poly all around here!
Old 02-15-2006, 06:35 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

"my motor; 500hp/500tq... rubber mounts, broken.. poly mounts, not broken. nuff said.."

Yep, except when my rubber mount broke, I replaced it with poly and left the other rubber mount in place. Pretty hard to break the rubber one on the compression side.

Last edited by shafrs3; 02-15-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:22 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by shafrs3
"my motor; 500hp/500tq... rubber mounts, broken.. poly mounts, not broken. nuff said.."

Yep, except when my rubber mount broke, I replaced it with poly and left the other rubber mount in place. Pretty hard to break the rubber one on the compression side.
I snapped the whole steel "L" section on the compression side of my old '65 Rustang - with a 6 cylinder.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:21 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shafrs3

i did the same on my 383
Old 02-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
replacing worn out rubber with new rubber will make a huge difference and that poly wasn't worth the extra hassle. .
Quite the opposite...rubber install is the extra hassle. Poly is MUCH easier.
Mine has a Poly rear end now....front comming soon.
Eddie
Old 02-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default What about...

I used poly (Energy Suspension) on the front end of the '69 and it's great, keeping in mind that I already had the F-41 setup.

All this poly talk has me asking a question. What about different densities of polyurethane? When I started doing the rear suspension on my Corvair (that thing has a TON of bushings!), the vendor had 3(!) different types of poly bushings, from almost stock to pretty near solid. Mentioned a durometer number... That would have a definite effect on a Vette's ride, eh?

Hans
Old 02-16-2006, 11:12 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Reading the links to Greenwood, Adams, and others, hard to argue with those guys who are in the know.

Have to tip my hat to the marketing guy for the poly bushings...make it enticing, the masses will buy...

Last edited by GDaina; 02-16-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:19 AM
jdmick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Edzred72
Quite the opposite...rubber install is the extra hassle. Poly is MUCH easier.
Mine has a Poly rear end now....front comming soon.
Eddie
Yes, poly is easier to install in the rear since you don't need a fancy compression tool for the TA bushing. Bairs sent me a bolt with a lug nut on the end along with some shims to make the poly bushing come out right.
But, for the front I went with rubber. It couldn't have been any easier to install. Simply tap the new bushings in and tighten the bolts once there is weight on the front end.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:21 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bought poly (not yet installed)

bragging rights
Old 02-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

Poly is definitely going to provide a harsher ride; I've got them on my Saturn.

However, my Saturn now feels more aggressive when I've pushed it at the autocross tracks.

Poly, I'd have to say, will definitely make the handling more aggressive than the rubber; it's also going to transfer a lot more of the ride into the frame, into the seat, and into any of the components attached to the polyurethane. This means that the possibility of breaking components goes up and the "comfort" quality goes down.

For a DD, I'd probably recommend rubber, just because of comfort. But if you're planning on doing any autocross/track racing with it, or you want a tighter handling car and to heck with the comfort, go for the polyurethane. I've already started a replacement of the rubber with polyurethane; the motor mounts I'm in the process of installing are the Energy Suspension ones, and the transmission mount has been replaced with a poly mount as well.

Once tax returns have come back for myself and my father, we're contacting Pattie at VB&P to get their full suspension package and replace the current junk under the car; included in that package will be poly bushings, which will be an improvement considering we're looking to autocross it once everything's dialed in.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:58 PM
chris73cpe
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any opinions on poly vs rubber for body mounts? For some reason the poly ones are cheaper than rubber unlike the majority of suspension bushings
Old 02-18-2006, 03:06 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Everything under my front is poly. I've heard they're stiffer, but a C3 rides rough anyway, so I never felt anything different. So, to me they just last longer. Larry
Old 02-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

I have solid motor mounts and tranny mount and all my other bushings are poly. Its so loud that I can't even feel vibration or here it squeck. Wtf I can't spell squeak

If I replace my body mounts im going to solid.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:12 PM
BBShark
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by chris73cpe
Anyone have any opinions on poly vs rubber for body mounts? For some reason the poly ones are cheaper than rubber unlike the majority of suspension bushings
Rubber is more expensive to mold than poly thats why poly is cheaper. Also, all polyurethane and all rubber is not the same. Polyurethane can be made in the same durometer as rubber and rubber the same as polyurethane as Wrencher metioned above.

So I guess I don't know which is "better". I am using polyurethane for rotating joints (trailing arm pivots, A-arms, etc.) and rubber for strictly compressive loads (body mounts, etc.). Recently I have been looking at using rubber body mounts (on my solid mount 68) from another car that are thinner than the 73-up Vette mounts. That way I get rubber mounts without raising the body.

Quick Reply: I’m opening the door on poly versus rubber… this is an invite for all opinions