C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I do to close the outside air vent door near the fan between the fender and windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 08:25 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default What do I do to close the outside air vent door near the fan between the fender and windshield?

I have a 77. I cannot get the outside air vent door located near the fan to close. I changed the A/C vacuum control hoses and switch, but that did not help. Any ideas? I am thinking of resorting to just closing the vent door permanently so that the fan will recirculate the inside air for better cooling and heating. Have any of you had this problem? Have any of you closed this vent door permanently? If so, how did you do it? The vent door is obviously held partially open by a spring, but I do not know how to get to the spring. :confused: I am thinking of doing a "Bubba" and inserting some type of rod up through the passenger kick panel vent and inserting it behind the outside air vent to keep it closed. Please help me before I commit this atrocious act.
Old 08-10-2001, 04:20 PM
Gerry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What do I do to close...

First I found a wierd bug in the forum software. You can't have a Title longer than 100 characters even though the system auto generated one longer...

Have you tried closing the door manually with a vacuum pump? It could be the hose or the diaphram in the door.

I'm assuming you're trying to get it to close while running Max AC? Does your lower door close fine?
Old 08-10-2001, 09:14 PM
DR'76
Pro

Default Re: What do I do to close the outside air vent door?

I kinda did a "Bubba" thing, but glad I did. I took that door out and traced it (with hinge) onto a piece of sheet metal, cut it out w/ tin snips and screwed this in place of the door. I first outlined the new piece w/ rope caulk.

Now it's completely closed all the time, and the cowl area air pressure pushes against it for further confidence of no leaks (you'll see what I mean when the door is removed)

* Remember to block-off the vacuum hose.

Good luck :D
Old 08-11-2001, 07:42 AM
shark
Intermediate

Default Re: What do I do to close the outside air vent door near the fan between

I had a ton of old leaves and other stuff behind the door
preventing it from closing.

Get notified of new replies

To What do I do to close the outside air vent door near the fan between the fender and windshield?

Quick Reply: What do I do to close the outside air vent door near the fan between the fender and windshield?