C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am having a Quandry....My car is all original..I want it to go fast, But how much to MOD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 10:42 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default I am having a Quandry....My car is all original..I want it to go fast, But how much to MOD?

I am scared if I do too much I will end up blowing the original engine...should I just go buy another TOY and use the all original 74 as a Cruise mobile..It is worth a lot more as a numbers matching roadster for sure!! I am Torn!!!
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 08-10-2001, 11:43 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I am having a Quandry....My car is all original..I want it to go fast, But how much to MOD?

If you can afford another toy, 2 vettes is better than one ;) If not the possibly you could put a new engine in and store the stock one for if you decide to sell the car
Old 08-10-2001, 11:47 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: I am having a Quandry....

Original? So what, do what you want to do, but keep your original equipment so that you can undo the mods when you want to go back to factory.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:50 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I am having a Quandry....My car is all original..I want it to go fast,

You have several ways to go:
1. add a new cam and carb
2. buy a crate engine
3. have your local engine shop build you up an engine from a donor block

These last two options give you the ability to store your engine safely away while you play. The first still preserves the numbers of the engine compartment and is reversible.

Gary
Old 08-10-2001, 11:53 AM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it depends on how much power you're seeking. With the L-82 shortblock, you should not have do worry about doing much damage. The 4 bolt block, steel crank and good rods will hold up to a lot of abuse. If it has never been torn down, you may want to tear it down and have it balance, replace rod bolts with quality fasteners, and check the rods to be sure it will last. In my case, I've reached the max power level I'm willing to subject my L-48 bottom end to. With a 2 bolt block, cast crank and weak rods, I'm scared of putting one of those rods through the side of my #matching block :eek: Another alternative is to throw your engine on a stand and replace with a second engine. If you choose to sell later, just swap the original back in.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:09 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Default Re: (tsw71)

I think the crate engine is a great way to go.....Or I could just buy a coupe REAL CHEAP that did not have matching numbers and do the same....Have one for Rodding and one for cruising!!!! :smash:
Old 08-10-2001, 12:23 PM
ppinto
Heel & Toe

Default Re: I am having a Quandry....My car is all original..)

There are many powerful, quality crate engines available today. It's fairly common to get a 350-400HP 350 for under $4000 - usually less. Keep your engine in a safe place and you'll always have a #'s matchine vette.

One recommendation, though. Go carburated if you throw in a crate motor. I've converted my car to multiport EFI, and the necessary changes to the fuel system are impossible to back out without purchasing new pieces or repairs (i.e. sending unit, hole in the firewall for wiring harness, etc.) If it's not a daily driver, no need to go all out with EFI.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:24 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (Alwyn678)

N.O.S.!!!!

It is cheap, fun, quick to install, and will boost the performance only when you need it. You can install it on a Saturday morning and be cruising Saturday night!

It can damage your engine, but so can a really bad tank of gas.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:42 PM
mulchie
Instructor

Default Re: My car is all original..I want it to go fast, But how much to MOD? (Alwyn678)

Top side modifications are easy and can be swapped-out later. Carburation (Holley 750). You can also look at a hiperf intake manifold, cam and roller tip rockers.
Old 08-10-2001, 02:12 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Default Re: My car is all original..I want it to go fast, But how much to MOD? (mulchie)

Hey mulchie I have done the carb and intake thing ...but it is not going to be fast enuf withous serious mods...So I am looking for either another vette or possibly another hot rod......Anyone got a super fast rod for sale?? around Atlanta :cheers:
Old 08-10-2001, 03:53 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Default Re: My car is all original..I want it to go fast, But how much to MOD? (Alwyn678)

Don't forget the NOS. I can put a 250 hsp shot on an otherwise very slow car and run with the big dogs. All you need is a very safe 100 to 150 shot to really get a kick in the pants. Then, if you take your time and plumb it right, nobody will know you have it.

:cry
Old 08-10-2001, 06:36 PM
tictocdok
Racer

Default ....My car is all original..I want it to go fast, But how much to MOD? (Alwyn678)

definetly get a different toy.. older than 25 years old and forget emissions inspections ( depending on your state!). build it the way you want it... race it on weekends... leave it outdoors over the winter.. experiment with radical cams and NOS... have fun with it and not be afraid to mess up the good one!
Old 08-10-2001, 08:21 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: My car is all original..I want it to go fast, But how much to MOD? (69Myway)

If your afraid of ruining your original block, I'd say go for the crate motor and a set of performance gears in the back. This way you can always put the original back in if you want, have fum with the new motor without having to worry too much & the rear gears could always stay in, NCRS will not be able to tell what gears you have. Or you can just try the gears first & see how you like them, biggest bang for the buck next to NOS.

A 2nd very is a great idea too if you can do it :D .

Get notified of new replies

To I am having a Quandry....My car is all original..I want it to go fast, But how much to MOD?

Quick Reply: I am having a Quandry....My car is all original..I want it to go fast, But how much to MOD?