C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Frame issues!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 09:55 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Frame issues!

Looks like the front end is worse than I thought, wondering about my options.

1. New frame
2. Tube frame
3. Sub frame
4. Fix whats there

I dont know where I'd find a new frame, and assume it would be expensive... in addition to having to remove the body.

A tube frame would be nice, and expensive, and the body would already be off, etc.

Fixing whats already here is a good thought, but I dont see much to build off of.

A C4/C5 subframe has been contemplated, or just another C3's, but I dont have the expierence today to start cutting.

Sadly what's already here is torn, and patched, dented and bent... and the welds are worse than mine. (and I'm really not that good...)

It actually scares me that I drove this thing before pulling it apart... Its not inspiring to scrape the grease off and find this. That and I can't get a frame shop to give me a quote! They arent interested! Can of worms seems to be their favorite expression.

As far as repairs go, I'm under the impression I'll need a 220 volt arc welder. What brands would you guys be recomending? Anything I should ask of an electrician when the wiring goes in?

How big of an overlap should there be between the old and new frame if I end up going with a sub-frame?

Any ideas on how I can get the car nice and level so I dont end up with a trike with a mounted spare? My floor isnt the flatest in the world, and I dont have much room.

Thanks...

Last edited by ZD75blue; 02-18-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:47 PM
houstonvett
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Have a 71 that had the front cross member bottom panel rusted thru from having water sitting in it, not as bad as yours though. You can buy the bottom repair panel from CC along with the lower A frame supports. I used a plasma cutter and air chisel to get the old one off the crossmember. Drilled the spot weld holes thru new panel and put a slight chamfer on the frame side of the panel for a better spot weld. Clamped everything down and welded it up. Also got a rotissirre to do this repair as it would be very differcult to do this type of repair laying on your back on the floor. The least expensive way IMO is to look on here in parts for sale section and find a good frame that is for sale. If you add the costs of just the welder, argon tank, regulator and mask which at the very least it will take to do the this job, you might be able to find a good frame for the same price, houstonvett
Old 02-19-2006, 01:06 AM
yukon988
Racer

Frames may not be too bad cost wise although I've never replaced one (but there are some here who have). You can sometimes find them on ebay. You could also call here to get an idea about cost:

http://www.tracyvette.com/frames.html

I just found them searching on google -- I'm not indorsing them. If you do decide to get another frame, make sure you know what you are looking at so you don't end up with something worse than what you have. Make sure you know the problem spots with respect to rust.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:41 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As the other poster mentioned, there are repair sections for that cross member. Patching that panel would be much cheaper than replacing the entire frame.

Looking on Tracyvette.com is the LAST place I'd go for anything Vette related. I thought I'd had bad experiences just by telephone until reading some other horror stories about this guy. Just do an archives search to verify. No mousehumping here (at least in my case). Just read the thread about Tracy throwing a CF member's part across the parking lot when they disagreed on an estimate on a repair......I'd love to support a local business, but I wouldn't support this hack.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:22 AM
84rzv500r
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd repair it... A good Miller Stick/Tig welder can be had for well under 2K and then you have more capability. Go over the frame and brace it to power service manual specs.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:31 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Thanks for the responses guys!

I havent been able to find repair pieces for the crossmember, not quite sure where to look. Catalogs dont appear to have any of that stuff... Skips right over frame.

Any idea's how I can get everything lined back up?

I assume there are blue prints of some sort available, but I havent found them!

Evidently I'm only good at finding problems, not solutions...
Old 02-19-2006, 11:17 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

If you or anyone else is interested I have a very nice SOLID 1976 Arizona frame...available for $650 BUT e-mail DIRECT!!
redvetracr@msn.com
Old 02-19-2006, 11:48 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Wonder how much it'd cost to ship to NC?
Old 02-19-2006, 11:58 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 84rzv500r
I'd repair it... A good Miller Stick/Tig welder can be had for well under 2K and then you have more capability. Go over the frame and brace it to power service manual specs.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:07 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Isnt there an online copy of the power manual?

I've been looking... but havent been able to find it either. This hasnt been my week.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:35 PM
houstonvett
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Corvette central has the repair pieces. Lower panel repair piece is #182063 and the lower A-frame supports are #182045. The repair panel is cutout to fit the front crossmember. You will have to do a little trimming but not much. It will all depend on where and how you cut the old one out. If you can weld it isn't too differcult a job but, I had a rotissirre to use which makes it a lot easier to repair the panel, houstonvett
Old 02-19-2006, 01:46 PM
71rdster
Drifting

Default Frame on ebay

There is a 75 - 79 frame on ebay right now with a buy it now price of 645 + 350 shipping. Not mine, but I have done business with this seller before. I think he's ok. here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corve...temZ4613726948

Good luck
Old 02-20-2006, 03:28 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Thanks guys...

Bottom skin = 141.75
Lower supports are 90 bucks a pop, need two.

I'm looking at the miller synchrowave line-up... anyone used one? Tig and stick in the same box. Now if only they had half off sales...
Old 02-20-2006, 04:08 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Yep, those are pretty much the classic failure points on the front end of a Corvette frame. It looks like you have just about every one of them. I've been slowly compiling photos of such damage. Do you have others that you can send me? Can you get a few more photos of the damage? Clear shots of the lower cross shaft damage as well as the crack and separation near the coil spring would be very helpful. Also, what are the specs. on your Vette? Spring rates, small block, big block, mileage, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to compile a resource to help all Corvette owners.

As for the repair/replacement it would certainly be a lot more straight forward to replace the frame with a good one like redvetracr is offering but I also see the appeal of "needing" to buy some new tools and doing the work yourself. I think once everything is completed you will probably be even on money invested but repairing will take more time than replacing.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:20 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

No doubt on the money issue... I've got more in this thing than I can get out, if it was pristine... and it still needs a restoration!

What it be:
Coupe
Auto
Small block
No rear sway bar

Odometer says 67k It may be 67... as the interior isnt worn all that bad, its just everything else. I think somebody raced this thing through fields... as the oil pan has a dent that reduces capacity in quarts.

Found the build sheet, to rough to read... Doesnt have a trim tag.

I'd be more than happy to get some more pictures, I'm just having issues getting it high enough to get in focus. I've got 6 stands, 2 in the middle... the other 2 are off size, and I cant find a spot thats the right height when they are locked on a notch to support anything! Gets kind of tipsy with the "front of the door, behind the door" foot print...

Could you give a list of what all you want for pictures? I'll do my best to get them for you.

Last edited by ZD75blue; 02-20-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:26 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Oh...

Do any of you guys know where I can find one of these power manuals? Still cant find one online...
Old 02-20-2006, 11:51 PM
johns_vette
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Front Crossmember Frame repair

I have done that type of frame repair before. I repaired it while I was doing a frame off, which made the job so much easier. I have attached the picture to the repairs I have done and am very happy with the results. If you do decide to have the frame repaired, one thing that will make the job a little easier is to replace the lower control arm brackets instead of cleaning up. I have an extra set if you need. I hope the pictures below are helpful.

John

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Frame issues!

Old 03-06-2006, 12:05 PM
seventysixvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, ZD75blue, did you decide on what you're going to do? I found almost the EXACT same problems on my '76 front crossmember. Mine is a little worse, the angled bracket on the back of the crossmember has ripped a hole in the upper part of the crossmember, along with the lower plate being fatigued cracked and puddle welded to the control arm bracket. Are you going to do an off-body, try to repair it from underneath, or do like I'm seriously considering and stick it on e-bay? Please, keep up up to date on what you're thinking!
John
Old 03-06-2006, 12:11 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

If you or anyone else is interested I have a very nice NO ROT`76 Arizona frame...$650 and it`s yours!! e-mail direct redvetracr@msn.com
Old 03-07-2006, 12:07 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

ZD75blue, I'm sorry, I lost track of this thread. I would appreciate some more photos of the areas you have already taken. I just need them to be clear and not blurry, and taken from several angles. Is all the damage on just one side of the frame? feel free to e-mail them to me. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Help! Frame issues!