C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Spark Plug Wires........You Gotta be Kidding me...........

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 12:44 AM
Randy 71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing Spark Plug Wires........You Gotta be Kidding me...........

Vetters,
Is it me or is replacing wires a royal pain in the butt? I am talking, all C-3's with Stainless Steel plug wire covers. I thought this would be a 15 minute job...........WRONG. 3 hours later I am done. If there is a easier way, I sure would love to here it. I ended up taking all the covers off the block. Then had to use 3 hands to get them back in the right position. Of course it was 100 degrees outside. Now after 2 days of driving and running perfectly. I am getting a bogged down kinda of performance. I suspect a wire got place in a wrong position and either got too hot and maybe melted or what I really suspect, the wire got cut when I tightened the wire covers to the block.

I think I am going to replace them all and route them out from the block and up through some wire separators then to the cap. Anny suggestions?
Randy
Old 08-11-2001, 02:06 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Replacing Spark Plug Wires........You Gotta be Kidding me........... (Randy 71)

That's why I just run mine over the top of the block, took one look
at the way they were supposed to go and just shook my head.
Old 08-11-2001, 12:07 PM
Jon69L46
Racer

Default Re: Replacing Spark Plug Wires........You Gotta be Kidding me........... (Randy 71)

Aw..come on Randy, it's not that bad. Really keeps them out of the way. I just bought the distributor tree grommetes and like the tailored look. Now that's everything is clean it takes about a 1/2 hour a side.
Old 08-11-2001, 02:13 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Replacing Spark Plug Wires........You Gotta be Kidding me........... (Jon69L46)

advantage bigblock! MJ
Old 08-11-2001, 11:27 PM
Randy 71
Racer

Default Re: Replacing Spark Plug Wires........You Gotta be Kidding me........... (MotorHead)

I just bought new wires today. I am going straight out, up and over. It can not be good for those wires to be up against the block with all that heat..

Randy
Old 08-11-2001, 11:32 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

I am sure that is why that cover crap is long gone on my vette. :p:
Old 08-13-2001, 10:29 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

yes i agree with randy 71 . besides being a PITA to put on ,the heat from motor has to be hard on them.
Old 08-13-2001, 12:55 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to disagree, but I will. I believe the heat from exhaust is much harder on the wires than the heat from the block, believe that's why the 'bomerang' shields were installed by the factory. Just my opinion, so do as you wish. If your installation works without the shields, that's OK too, perhaps would be OK if you get wires that are more heat resistant than the OEM wires.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Spark Plug Wires........You Gotta be Kidding me...........

Quick Reply: Replacing Spark Plug Wires........You Gotta be Kidding me...........