C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miniram vs Victor Jr (style) intake systems; which flows more??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 01:16 PM
El Mago
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Miniram vs Victor Jr (style) intake systems; which flows more??

I'm trying to determine which of the two manifold styles has more HP potential, I like the Miniram cause of it's low profile and I don't want to change my hood (standard C3), yet I recall reading that the overall winner is the Victor style intake (which by the way I already have but with some clearence problems).
I've heard the miniram looses because of the air flow's 90º turn from the main plenum to the cyl. intake port, doesn't the same happen in the Vic between the air filter (horizontal) and the plenum (vertical).
Both intakes will receive generous porting to take them to their max potential.

The engine is a 406" FI SB, Hooker sidepipes CC solid roller 224/224@.050 and .56 lift and Edelbrock performer rpm alum. heads.
Gary
Old 08-12-2001, 01:41 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Default Re: Miniram vs Victor Jr (style) intake systems; which flows more?? (El Mago)

The miniram with 70mm throttle plates is used on very high powered setups. Both single plane and mini rams are limited by the head flow potential.

Stingray racing is using the Brodix single plane and a 1000 cfm four barrel throttle plate. Which with the right electronics is supposed to be superior to any of the front opening miniram/superram setups. Monty's front opening sequential injection on a Hogan sheet metal manifold is in another league. Somewhere in the 1300 cfm range.

Victor Jr's ould of the box require bench flowing to even out the cylinders by epoxying in turtles. Although that is also in a wet flow, carb environment. So a DFI single plane might not have the same issues

Just from my view Your roller cam is way to mild. 16 or more degrees would really wake it up. I'm considering 1.75 ratio roller rockers. Just so I don't have to change the my cam 238/246 2 .050 .635/.644 112 lsa
Old 08-12-2001, 02:11 PM
El Mago
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Miniram vs Victor Jr (gkull)

George:
thanks for the fast reply...in my case, the Vic Jr. is what I already have on the Edelbrock pro-flw FI, but if I remember correctly, I recall Monty saying that maybe he should of gone whith the Vic Jr style... The Hogan is a great piece, but at that $ level I prefer looking into aluminum SB. I want to have the correct intake system for the 406 for a while, and by next year start working with a high revving 327 aluminum block and maybe later on a TT setup. engine should whithstand 8K rpm, but in reality will never go beyond 6.5 - 7K. Cam duration will also not go beyond 230º@.050 and lift .56 .
If the MR dosn't loose to much against a well ported Vic Jr (or any of that style), I think I have a plumbing advantage for the TT's
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Miniram vs Victor Jr (style) intake systems; which flows more??

Quick Reply: Miniram vs Victor Jr (style) intake systems; which flows more??