C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery drain found but not cured

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 04:26 PM
ARA427L68
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery drain found but not cured

Thanks to all your excellent posts on how to find a battery drain, I finally found mine. It is the hot wire from the battery post on the fuse panel to my new kenwood, custom Auto Sounds radio, from Ecklers. I believe that you need to run a hot wire so that the digital clock and station presets will work. The radio works fine but i guess the draw on the battery is enough to kill it after about 2 days of sitting. The test light gives off a faint glow. I'm not sure exactly how to measure how much power the radio is sucking when car is off. Is this normal? If not, what are my solutions?( besides giving up on my presets and digital clock) Thank you all in advance for your expertise.
Old 08-12-2001, 04:50 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: battery drain found but not cured (ARA427L68)

I'd guess that the draw from the stereo is tiny in the milli-amp range, and not nearly enough to discharge a fully charged battery in two days.
Your drain is probably at some other location. Try disconnecting the power to the radio for a couple of days and see if the battery is still loosing charge just for a test. (I could be wrong) :eek:
Old 08-12-2001, 05:16 PM
Jester69Stingray
Pro

I had the exact same problem about a week ago when i rewired my cd player to hold presets. I later had the battery tested and found that it just wasnt really holding a good charge anyway and the radio was just enough drain to kill it. I now have a new battery and have had no further problems.
Old 08-12-2001, 05:56 PM
kostutsman
Instructor

A agree with Jester - my test would be to dosconnect the battery altogether and or event take it to be tested - if it is 2 to 3 years old especially.
Old 08-13-2001, 01:04 PM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem, letting the car sit with the battery connected would kill the battery in a few days. Since I wasn't driving it at the time I just disconnected it. In a few weeks the battery wouldn't even hold a charge after it was disconnected. It's probably not a bad idea to have your battery tested before you go through the pain of figuring out where it is draining. I think most parts store will test them for free :D
Old 08-13-2001, 01:39 PM
Jim-K
Racer

Use an ammeter to measure the current draw, inline between the negative cable and the negative terminal of the battery. 5 ma or less is normal (clock etc)

I did this to mine recently, it was drawing 60 ma, found the short behind the fuse box, and now its 4ma.

Jim-K
Old 08-13-2001, 02:18 PM
ARA427L68
Advanced

Default Re: battery drain found but not cured (Jim-K)

You are quite right, the technician from Custom Autosounds tells me that the radio "memory" should not be drawing more than .5 amps. On your car, what type of short did you find at the fuse box/firewall? Once i figure out how to use my little multi meter then i will know exactly what my draw is. But as I posted earlier, it is enough to cause a dim glow in my tester light.
Old 08-13-2001, 02:25 PM
Jim-K
Racer

The brake light fuse wire was rubbing against the ground bar behind the fuse box. I kept pulling fuses untill i found the shorted circuit, started sweating because the brake/ hazard circuit is quite a large one, and lucked out since behind the fuse box was the first place i looked I just needed to put a little peice of vacuum hose around the wire to reinsulate it.

BTW, .5 amps is not 5 ma (milliamps)

Good luck

Jim-K

Get notified of new replies

To battery drain found but not cured

Quick Reply: battery drain found but not cured