C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New power steering control valve, grease fitting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 03:11 PM
Jim-K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New power steering control valve, grease fitting?

I just recently replaced my control valve and ram, the new control valve has a plug where the old one had a zirk fitting. Should i put a zirk here and lube the control valve? I seem to vaguely remember something about over lubing the unit, but haven't had much luck finding info on this.

More information on this would be greatly appreciated, TIA

Jim-K
Old 08-13-2001, 03:14 PM
rdrman
Racer

Default Re: New power steering control valve, grease fitting? (Jim-K)

leave the plug in and do not greese it
Old 08-13-2001, 03:15 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just replace my control valve with a new one not a rebuild and there was a big warning not to overgrease. One shot at the most.
Norval
Old 08-13-2001, 03:15 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

One small squirt or you will "blow" the rubber boot after a couple of weeks.
Old 08-13-2001, 03:27 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: New power steering control valve, grease fitting? (KenSny)

What is the symptoms of this problem. I had my local dealership do an oil change and I know that they grease every zerk they can find.
Some grease monkey probably pumped grease in until it was leaking out :mad:, I haven't checked.
But, what problem would this cause? Hard steering ?
My car turns fine but the steering is hard. It has been this way since I bought it. The place that I bought it from has replaced the pump twice, the valve once and all of the hoses to try and solve this problem.
If someone blew out the new valve by overgreasing it, then the problem may still be the valve.
They can be re-built - right ?? :confused:
Old 08-13-2001, 03:31 PM
Jim-K
Racer

Default Re: New power steering control valve, grease fitting? (BSeery)

Mine leaked like a sieve, had grease all over, and the boot was damaged. I dont know the history since it was like this when i got the car, but there was a zerk there....

There is a rebuild kit, yes, check elklers or zip products... I got my parts from Muskegon Brake, the rebuilt units.

Jim-K
Old 08-14-2001, 10:36 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

My zerk fitting needed to be greased when I replaced the ps control valve months ago to make it STOP leaking when it was new. Right on one small shot, otherwise, a leak will start eventually from blowing out the seal. Makes me want to get a plug and replace the zerk fitting to keep someone from overfilling in the future.
Old 08-14-2001, 11:05 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The original Saginaw control valves had a stud seal that had a small slit to allow excess grease to purge out of the seal cavity. The theory 25 years ago was that the seal wouldn't keep water and dirt out of the ball stud cavity so the next best thing was to periodically add grease and push the old grease and contaminents out the slit.

The the advent of better greases and seals, modern technology allowed for greased for life ball joints. You will note that virtually all passenger car outer tie rods are now greased for life.

If you look closely at your control valve, you will probably find that there is no slit in the ball stud seal to allow any grease to escape. Therefore, you should not need to add any grease. If you do add a zirk fitting be very careful to add just a small amount of grease. Otherwise, you can overfill the cavity, blow the seal up like a balloon and rupture it!

JIML82@aol.com
Old 08-14-2001, 01:21 PM
Jim-K
Racer

Default Re: New power steering control valve, grease fitting? (Jim Shea)

Great, thanks for the responses. I'm going to install a zerk, give it one shot for good measure, and put the plug back. It seems a little dry in there.

Jim-K

Old 08-14-2001, 02:37 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Just to elaborate more, when my new one was put on, it leaked drips (alot!) into a small puddle overnight. Even had the valve replaced with another one. It also leaked. So, there were posts, etc. back then on greasing. I finally decided to give it a shot. It instantly fixed it problem. Not a drop since - probably 20K miles.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:13 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: New power steering control valve, grease fitting? (BSeery)

The ball stud cavity is completely separate from the hydraulic control valve section. Adding too much grease will only destroy the seal around the ball stud. I'm not sure what could be causing your hard steering. Most complaints seem to be about steering feel being too light.

Vette Brakes & Products Inc (www.vettebrakes.com) will rebuild your old valve or you can purchase a new one and send your old valve in to save a core charge. Their standard spring is called a 40 lb spring. This should give you moderate to light steering effort. They also have a heavier effort 55 lb spring on special request.

Other suppliers can also supply control valves but I am not sure if they have special springs or not.
Old 08-15-2001, 10:06 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: New power steering control valve, grease fitting?

Synthetic seems to work best. Orig. system, no leaks.

Get notified of new replies

To New power steering control valve, grease fitting?

Quick Reply: New power steering control valve, grease fitting?