C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1973 Air Conditioning System Resto

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 09:33 AM
nbean1973
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1973 Air Conditioning System Resto

My '73 coupe was originally equipped with factory AC. The previous owner removed all of the AC components forward of the firewall, hoses, tubing condenser, etc. I have the original AC compressor and one AC compressor mounting bracket. I would need to purchase the remaining AC components. I am willing to do the resto/rebuild myself, however this would be my first attempt at resto/repair on AC. Is this a job better suited to a Vette resto pro? It may be cheaper to have a resto pro do the work correctly than for me to make a "money pit" on my first attempt in C3 Vette AC resto/repair. I appreciate constructive advice and recomendations.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:56 AM
TopGunn
Drifting

I would say it depends on your ability and willingness to do a little "wrenching". If the controls in the console are still there and it's just stuff forward of the firewall that's gone, I would do it in an instant. You didn't mention if the exchanger was still in the box where the heater core is but I'm betting it is. The rest of it is just putting stuff back together and gathering the right parts. The thing you'll need to remember is that the previous owner took it out for a reason, most likely because it didn't work so be prepared to troubleshoot for leaks. Even if you have to take it to a shop for the final touches and help find problems it's still cheaper to do it yourself and you learn something in the process.

My .02.

Good luck with it, and I'm sure there's plenty of guys here that would help you out with the project.

Bill
Old 03-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If you have reasonable mechanical ability, you should be able to do everything except charge the system. I would leave that to the pros. If you don't already have it, purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM) and make a list of the parts you're going to need. Since there's nothing there, switching to R-134 would be easy. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:51 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

I completely replaced all my components 10 years ago. I replaced the evaporator, condenser, compressor, clutch, hoses, and VIR valve. All the electrical stuff inside the car still worked. I stayed with R12 when it was recharged. The VIR valve has been replaced twice since the first rebuild. If I had to do it again I would upgrade to a better system. The VIR valves were junk right from the start.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:07 PM
mdj21
Racer

I'm planning to do the AC in my 73. I have all of the parts for a proper conversion to 134A (just don't have the time right now)

Putting the parts in is easy. Charging the system will probably be the trickiest part for me. I want to try to do it my self to learn about AC systems. Worst case, I can take it to an AC shop for a charge and I’m only out about $60 for a vacuum pump, about $25 for some gages, and a couple of bucks for the cans of R134A.

It would be similar if you wanted to stay with R12.

Actually, the components I purchased will work with either R12 or R134A; it’s just a matter of adjusting the pressure switch for one or the other and no VIR valves to go bad on you.

good luck....

Mike
Old 03-10-2006, 06:00 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Look at Hot Rod Air. Their kit even uses your controls. $1100.

Get notified of new replies

To 1973 Air Conditioning System Resto

Quick Reply: 1973 Air Conditioning System Resto