C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter keeps cranking with key off!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 05:12 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Default Starter keeps cranking with key off!

Got my 77 started today, weak battery and it barely turned over. Went for a 20 minute ride. Back in the driveway, turned off the ignition then tried to restart. Starter cranked very slowly again. Engine wasn't going to start so I released the key but the starter kept cranking (slowly). I took the key out and it still kept turning the engine slowly until I loosened the disconnect on the positive cable. 15 minutes later, tightened the cable and tried it again. Cranked a little faster and the engine started normally. Put the car in the garage and I have the battery charger going. The starter is a Jegs mini starter, new last November. Is there a problem with the starter, ignition switch or what?
Old 03-11-2006, 05:39 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Trying to start a car with a low batter is not good for the starter. It draws more amps and could burn your fusable links into. It sounds like you switch may have stuck because of the low voltage condition. Get your batter charged, or checked and try it with a strong battery and see if it happens again.
Bernie
Old 03-11-2006, 06:36 PM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

with bernie however it might be a stuck starter solenoid. iv'e had it happen on fords a swift lick with a small peen hammer usualy does the trick. Think of the soleniod as a relay which amoug other things it is you close the contact from the battery to the starter motor if the contact sticks the starter will continue to turn even with the key off. the only the key does is supply power to the soleniod coil to star the start sequence once it is energised it pulls a ring up to another ring with the full battery when the other ring makes contact the starter is energised.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:46 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Thanks guys. I am charging the battery overnite. I will try it again tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:09 PM
steves_77vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess a bad solenoid or coil on the starter. You're probably going to have to replace it.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:25 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

....I had that same problem last summer; it was a bad solenoid.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:21 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Pull the started and go thru it. If the solenoid stuck once, it will do it again.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter keeps cranking with key off!

Quick Reply: Starter keeps cranking with key off!