C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 fan shroud

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 11:56 AM
81cali
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 fan shroud

Does the water pump really need to come out to re-install the fan shroud? my son and I installed a new 4 row radiator and water pump in the car and as we were trying to install the shroud back, it won't fit. Does it have to go on first before the radiator and the water pump? Will it hurt if we cut around the bottom area to make it clear? Will this alter the purpose of air flow?
Old 03-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

...because of the tightness of the upper A-arms for room, my 1980 & 1975 I did I just pulled the coresupport/radiator/shroud as a single unit. The earlier '68-'72 cars without A/C with the steel barrel shrouds were able to have the shroud & or radiator removed without touching the coresupport. Generally, with 1973-1982 Corvettes it's easiest to pull the whole thing as a unit-just ask BarryK.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:11 PM
81cali
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul Borowski
...because of the tightness of the upper A-arms for room, my 1980 & 1975 I did I just pulled the coresupport/radiator/shroud as a single unit. The earlier '68-'72 cars without A/C with the steel barrel shrouds were able to have the shroud & or radiator removed without touching the coresupport. Generally, with 1973-1982 Corvettes it's easiest to pull the whole thing as a unit-just ask BarryK.
At this point, the new radiator and water pump is in the car less the fan. I forgot to mention, it's an a/c car too. The way I look at it, the radiator needs to be removed or maybe just unbolted and move back but still, the water pump is in the way of the bottom part of the shroud preventing it to go down.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:22 PM
8DVETNUT
Instructor

I put my shroud in as far back as it would go, then installed the radiator and brought the shroud up to it.
Bill
Fan is last
Old 03-19-2006, 07:28 PM
blctalon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 78 has a small rectangular portion cut out of the lower part of the fan shroud. I didn't do this so I assume the previous owner did for some reason. I wouldn't think it affects air flow that much.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:10 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

pull the rad back out, put in the fan shroud and then the rad. PITA
Old 03-19-2006, 09:40 PM
81cali
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
pull the rad back out, put in the fan shroud and then the rad. PITA
Will it be easier this way rather than loosen the entire support and try to wiggle the shroud in?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:11 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Probly, I had a LOT of trouble with my 77. Also have seen a couple of shrouds cut at the top and bottom and them plated back together once installed. Kind of cool for a bubba fix. you can get the thing out in about 5 minutes with no cussin
Old 03-20-2006, 11:57 AM
81cali
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
Probly, I had a LOT of trouble with my 77. Also have seen a couple of shrouds cut at the top and bottom and them plated back together once installed. Kind of cool for a bubba fix. you can get the thing out in about 5 minutes with no cussin
That's funny cause I actually had a dream about that last night..........LOL
Old 03-20-2006, 12:21 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Originally Posted by 81cali
Will it be easier this way rather than loosen the entire support and try to wiggle the shroud in?
Remove the top support bolts so it will pivot as far forward as possible, then assembly the shoroud to the radiator as stated above and reassemble as a unit. Hint: Cut some cardboard and attach it to the face of the radiator so when the shroud slips out of your hands it doesn't damage the fins. This is especially helpful during a violent cursing episode when you loose all self control!!
Old 03-20-2006, 01:43 PM
81cali
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TopGunn
Remove the top support bolts so it will pivot as far forward as possible, then assembly the shoroud to the radiator as stated above and reassemble as a unit. Hint: Cut some cardboard and attach it to the face of the radiator so when the shroud slips out of your hands it doesn't damage the fins. This is especially helpful during a violent cursing episode when you loose all self control!!

I guess I'll try your idea. Whatever it takes not to disconnect the radiator again especially the tranny lines.

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 fan shroud

Quick Reply: 1981 fan shroud