C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedometer broke today

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 03:47 PM
Jester69Stingray
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer broke today

I was driving my Vette on the highway today following a slow car at about 50mph while i was passing the car i heard a slight popping noise and my spedo was at 0 and it hasnt moved since. Where should i look for broken stuff first.
:mad :mad :mad
Thanks
Old 08-15-2001, 04:10 PM
IxIx DRAGON xIxI
Drifting

Default Re: speedometer broke today (Jester69Stingray)

My tacho is stuck at 3500... someone help me also?
Old 08-15-2001, 04:13 PM
JIM
Burning Brakes

start with the cable.
Old 08-15-2001, 04:14 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: speedometer broke today (IxIx DRAGON xIxI)

Funny , that's why I initially switched to digital. I needed to get both replaced or repaired and couldn't find any way to do it for less than $200 with no warranty. Then I found the digital gauges for $369 with a lifetime warranty. It was worth it to me, but I probably wouldn't do it again unless I had to.

However, I will find out tomorrow if I have a fully assembled and working set of digital gauges in a buckskin dash Just in case anyone is interested.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:01 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

I guess we're talking no cruise control, therefore, one cable here. It's pretty easy to get the trans end of the cable off of my auto, I'm not sure if it's as easy with your 4spd. But, if you can get the trans end of the cable off, and it looks OK, spin it with a drill (probably in reverse) and see if you get any response from the speedo. If you do, then you may have a problem with the speedo driven gear (again, a pretty easy fix on my auto) or a problem with the drive gear inside the transmission myself (a bit tougher for me, maybe a trans removal for you). If you don't get any response from the speedo by spinning the lower end of the cable, then you either have a problem with the upper end of the cable or the speedo itself. I've never had the upper end of my speedo cable off and I've heard different opinions about how hard it is to get to. If I remember correctly, you can't rebuild your cable from the lower end either, you have to pull the cable out from the upper end.

I hope this helps a little.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:06 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: speedometer broke today (IxIx DRAGON xIxI)

You may want to check out the speedo & tach rebuild instructions (http://zip-corvette.com/speedo2.htm) on Zip's website (http://www.zip-corvette.com/).

By the way, are those NACA ducts functional?
Old 08-15-2001, 09:44 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Justin,

Jerry has the right idea. Just had to fix mine. Start at the beginning.

1. Remove the cable from the transmission and try spinning it by hand. If the speedo meter spins than the problem is with the driven gear. Generally, on the 4 spds, the drive gear on the shaft inside is steel and the driven gear is nylon. So if the problem is the drive gear, replace it with a new one from the Corvette suppliers (about $10).

2. If the speedo does not move when you spin the cable (don't forget to try both directions). Reach under the dash and pull the cable off the speedo. Just reach up, press the clip down and pull on the cable housing. The cable itself pulls out of the housing at the speedometer end. If the cable is broken, replace it. You can use a universal cut to length kit from NAPA and reuse your stock cable housing. If the cable is good, the problem is probably your speedometer. You can confirm this by pulling the cable off the speedometer and letting it hang under the dash. Drive the car. If the cable turns then your speedometer is bad.

There are a number of people who can rebuild it for you but it is a PITA to get out (had to pull mine to replace the bulbs).

3. Other things ot could be:
- Popping sound was cable housing popping off back of speedometer. Mines done it. Just reach under the dash and make sure it is secure.
- If you have an adapter between the transmission and cable, there is a key that connects the driven gear to the adapter. This can shear. This has happened twice to me. Found a smaller adpater that fits better from Corvette Central.

Lot of disjointed info but hope it helps.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To speedometer broke today

Quick Reply: speedometer broke today