C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Engine Rebuild Oil Question

Old 08-19-2001, 08:01 PM
johnb74
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default After Engine Rebuild Oil Question

Had my small block re-built 2,000 miles ago and continue to find spec size metal particles in bottom of second oil change drain pan. First oil change was done at 600 miles. Is this normal and if so, when should it stop.
John
Old 08-19-2001, 08:34 PM
johnb74
Advanced

Default Re: After Engine Rebuild Oil Question (johnb74)

Anyone had a rebuild
Old 08-19-2001, 08:48 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it might be that the engine wasnt cleaned properly originaly when it was rebuilt? did you change the heads/intake?

the could have had flakes of metal stuck to them?

Hope to hear you cure

ZD
Old 08-19-2001, 08:58 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I changed the break in oil on my 383 the other day. It had maybe 45 minutes of total run time on it. I could see metal particles coming out of the filter as it was turned upside down to drain on my oil catch container. It is hard for me to quantify the amount for comparison to yours.
Is this normal? I dunno? I would guess that most rebuilt engines would have some of this but how much is too much? Again, I dunno!
I plan on changing this next batch of oil after I run a full tank of gas through it. I'll report back to see how much metal particlate that I see coming from the filter after that.
I would like to see more input on this subject as well.

I'm guessing that a perfectly blueprinted engine would show very little if any signs of metal in the break in oil.

Old 08-19-2001, 09:19 PM
vert2go89
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Depends what the metal particles look like.If they are brass or silver looking then you may have a real problem.It could be that the rod bearing and main bearing caps were not sized and thus were out of round causing the bearings to wear quickly thus giving the metalic particles you are seeing.You should nothave metal particles in the oil on a new rebuilt motor.Either the block,pan or other parts weren't cleaned very well or you have bearings wearing quickly.
I saw one engine long block that three times had to be torn back down due to out of round or weak tensil cranks.two crank journals had worn really bad and this happened twice with only a few hundred miles on each engine.Builder ended up using a junk yard crank and haven't had anymore problems.It's been known for a rebuilder to get weak cranks.
I imagine if you keep seeing particles in oil change then your engine won't last much longer.I would suggest removing pan and bearing caps and check the journals and bearings if next oil change has particles in it.
Old 08-19-2001, 10:29 PM
johnb74
Advanced

Default Re: After Engine Rebuild Oil Question (all smiles 81)

Anyone else with rebuild experience. The metal particles are a few tiny specs. Could this be a leftover from first oil change left in bottom of pan. Why is this first oil change needed at such few miles and what should be seen in oil.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:45 AM
midyearguy
Racer

I just got my engine rebuilt and when I first started it up it had a lot of white smoke coming out the exaust. Is this normal, and if so how long will it last?
Old 08-20-2001, 12:58 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: After Engine Rebuild Oil Question (james75)

Although I'm having a problem with my motor leaking ehxaust into the coolant I have chaged my oil 3 times within it's first hundred miles (I know, overkill) and saw zero metal parts in the oil.

I would change the oil more frequently to see if volune of metal get smaller or stay the same. Also, one of those magnetic drain plugs might help find the metal parts. Was motor built by a machine shop?

Good luck, mark
Old 08-20-2001, 08:20 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: After Engine Rebuild Oil Question (james75)

Recent rebuild no metal particles that I saw but I would imagine there were some tiny particles that I couldn't see.
I've changed the oil twice in a 1200 mile period and now use synthetic.

[Modified by 69er, 6:24 AM 8/20/2001]
Old 08-20-2001, 08:46 AM
johnb74
Advanced

Default Re: After Engine Rebuild Oil Question (marky mark)

Mark,
Had it rebuilt by a very well known shop and they say it is normal for the first couple thousand miles. To spot such metal particles, I poured my oil out of its light color catch basin and saw a number of specs left in the coating of oil on the bottom of the basin. Otherwise, you would never find such particles.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:53 AM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

It is normal to have very fine metal particles in a new engine. I have seen it in four new rebuilt engines that I have put in my cars and in many crate engine from my friends cars. I allways change my oil after I break in the cam and then after about 200 miles and then about 500 miles. I don't think that I see much metal after the second oil change.
Old 08-20-2001, 07:33 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: After Engine Rebuild Oil Question (73Ken73)

Sounds o.k. I guess. I would expect that this would subside after a couple more oil changes. I would do two or three of them 100 miles apart to see if it goes away.

Good Luck, mark
Old 08-20-2001, 07:39 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Default Re: After Engine Rebuild Oil Question (marky mark)

My ZZ4 had a little after break-in (500 miles). I also cut open the filter ( I used to work on airplanes and we did this after every oil change) to check it out and there was a little in it but nothing I was concerned with. I will cut it again at the next oil change. Buy a magnetic oil plug and see how much get deposited on it. Unless the particles become larger and more in quantity I don't think you have anything to worry about.
John
Old 08-24-2001, 01:49 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: After Engine Rebuild Oil Question (theandies)

I changed my oil and looked closely and did see these small parts of metal in the drain pan. Motor has about 300 miles on it and I have changed oil 4 times (had some overheating issues ).

So, please forget what I said about not finding any previuosly.

I also had this rebuilt by a well regarded local shop so I must assume they did a good job. I just wonder if it's coming from the bearing materialS???

Regards, mark :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To After Engine Rebuild Oil Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After Engine Rebuild Oil Question