C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with AC problem-71 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 09:40 AM
Big Aldo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with AC problem-71 coupe

Having a couple of problems--please help--When I start out cold the ac blows nice and cold. After I stop and come back and restart the car, it never seems to blow cold again. Everything seems to be working correctly-except for the blower/fan switch has no effect--immediately goes to fastest speed when you turn on ac, and won' adjust down to a slower speed. Thanks in advance, Al
Old 08-20-2001, 01:36 PM
lyonsh
Drifting

Default Re: Help with AC problem-71 coupe (Big Aldo)

Starting cold then not: How long is it before you come back? It could be that your evaporator is freezing up, which could be caused by moisture in the system, or just be that you need a recharge.

Fan switch: Your variable switch's resistors are probably fried, so the system is defaulting to the high speed position.
Old 08-20-2001, 04:25 PM
greg454
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Help with AC problem-71 coupe (Big Aldo)

It could be that your heater core shut off valve is not completely keeping the hot coolant from entering the heater core. If after driving the car and warming up the engine and then shutting it off the coolant will eventually heat sink the heater core. I would put manual shut off valves on the heater lines.
Old 08-20-2001, 06:03 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Help with AC problem-71 coupe (greg454)

A few questions, guys. Do you have to put cut off valves on both hoses? If not, which one then? And also, does anyone know which fitting is the low pressure side fitting on a '78? I want to add some of that leak sealant stuff, but I sure don't want to accidentally hook the thing up to the high pressure side.

JB

'78SA

Get notified of new replies

To Help with AC problem-71 coupe

Quick Reply: Help with AC problem-71 coupe